Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 SPS in .308

Remington 700 SPS in .308

Hi..i am about to look for a new .308 stalking rifle and have been offered a brand new remington 700 sps by my local gun shop...Has any one used,loved or hated the remington 700 sps as i would like a few reviews from owners on this make and model before i decide between it or a Tikka T3..thanks.

You are opening a can of worms there mate. I would suggest that before asking such a question you do a site search. You will find that there are two totally opposing camps on Remingtons, one loves them the other camp have no time for them whatsoever. I'll simply say that I would go for the Tikka because it does what it says on the can straight out of the box.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by andycanman View Post
    Hi..i am about to look for a new .308 stalking rifle and have been offered a brand new remington 700 sps by my local gun shop...Has any one used,loved or hated the remington 700 sps as i would like a few reviews from owners on this make and model before i decide between it or a Tikka T3..thanks.
    Better still, restrict the comments to those from folk who have actually owned and used a Remington. Ask them to highlight the good points and bad ones they personally experienced as opposed to someone commenting because of something they heard through a mates pal down the pub 20 years ago.

I'll start it off for you. Owned about 8 Remingtons over the years and never had one that was not accurate from the off. A mate has owned about the same and that's his experience as well. Some have been shot as standard, some customised because I fancied it, not because I had to although I have always fitted a Jewell trigger because I can get it very light.

I have also owned several Sako's, pre 75 and 75 and 85 models. They were no more accurate but cost a lot more. Also owned Tikka, Krico and Mannlicher so plenty first hand experience as a comparison...

I currently use a custom Remington 700 in 308. I have no experience with the SPS stock but would suggest that there are a lot of very good second hand rifles out there with little use that may be a better buy than a new one and may also have a better after market stock. By that I mean non injection molded. Worst stock I have seen for flexibility was the grey injection molded ones that came on 2 Sako 75's I had years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You are opening a can of worms there mate. I would suggest that before asking such a question you do a site search. You will find that there are two totally opposing camps on Remingtons, one loves them the other camp have no time for them whatsoever. I'll simply say that I would go for the Tikka because it does what it says on the can straight out of the box.
    Yip your right..dont want to start a riot ..I did check online but there is nothing i can find from uk stalkers or shooter.Tikka was top of my list out of the 2 but thought i might give the remington a chance if it got a thumbs up.

I told you that shooters will fall into one of two camps didn't I. Oh and by the way I have owned a Remington, only the one. I hated it and got rid of it after only a very short time and will never buy another one again. I might consider a Remington for the basis of a custom job but not a bog standard Remi.

In the end it's really a matter of personal choice so get out and try both rifles and see what actually suits you. You are only buying a rifle at the end of the day not selecting a wife.
    Last edited by 8x57; 21-11-2013 at 17:49.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I told you that shooters will fall into one of two camps didn't I. Oh and by the way I have owned a Remington, only the one. I hated it and got rid of it after only a very short time and will never buy another one again. I might consider a Remington for the basis of a custom job but not a bog standard Remi.

In the end it's really a matter of personal choice so get out and try both rifles and see what actually suits you. You are only buying a rifle at the end of the day not selecting a wife.
    Its more important than that...

Quote Originally Posted by andycanman View Post
    I have both rifles and both are great guns. If you like messing around with guns then the Remi is your gun. If you want a straight shooting nice rifle the tikka is your gun. That said both my Remis where good out the box.

Personally i I like both and I'm happy with either out the cabinet

​thanks

I have both, both accurate and great guns. Tikka has 3 position safety which I prefer for stalking

Ok so a fair rifle but not great...i have 2 Tikka T3's at the moment 22/250 and .270 and like them apart from the trigger which i find a little tight out the box..thought i would try something new and as never tried a remington..but i want a straight out the box no messing rifle and T3 would tick that box..so better sticking with t3's then by sounds of thing.

ive owned remingtons in the past and as already said acuracy is certainly not a problem, i even owned a remington 710 which i took over 100 foxes with within a year with and had over a 95% kill rate with so remington make a perfectly usable rifle but, and heres the but, they are not refined bolts will seem slack in the action when operating the trigger will be anything from good to awful depending on your luck and the stock will be made as cheaply as possible. if you buy a t3 you wont be buying a more acurate rifle just a more refined rifle and thats where your extra money goes