Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 factory bullets I need some recommendations please

.243 factory bullets I need some recommendations please

Next week I will be getting my variation through for a .243 and shortly after I should be picking up my tikka t3 laminated stainless (cant wait).

I would like to know from those of you who use .243 on roe, what bullets do you use that you find perform well? I will be looking to use ones at about the 100g weight no heavier.

I have not used a .243 for about 10 years and to be honest I cant remember the type I used to use so opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I will not use balistic tipped bullets through choice on deer.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

The modified Greenhills Formulae recommends that the optimum maximum weight of bullet in relation to twist rate for a 243 is as follows 1:10 85gr, 1:9 95gr, and 1:8 107gr. I read this on this site somewhere?

I use winchester 80gr soft points on roe in my sako 75. I am thinking about trying sako 90gr gameheads to see how they group - I like the gameheads, used to put them through the 308.

Cheers

David,
    I have quite a few friends that have used the Sako 90g through their synthetic stainless Tikka T3s with very good results. For some unknown reason my Tikka with blue barrels gets on well with Sako 100g s.p. Only use Hornady 100g s.p and Remmington 100g s.p when the Sako are not available.
    ATB Paul

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    My .243 Stainless/Synthetic shot Federal 100gr Power Shok fine, my reloads now match Federal PowerShok, should I run short of any....

ive tryed a few different brands of soft points in my remmy 700, norma 100g very good but little over my budget, the rws t-mantels 100g was ok, but i seem to get a better grouping with the winchesters 100g soft points, also using theses on fallow aswell, does the job!

ive also use 80g winchesters soft points on roe/foxy, 8)

think you will have to see what ammo your rifle prefer

Andrew

Try, Norma 100gn, RWS 100 gn or Federal 100gn and see what your rifel likes. All will do the job. Worth also checking to see what your local dealer carries and what is his standard stock - thus you have easy supplies for the future. A standard soft point bullet is fine.

I use RWS or Norma 100gn in my 243 on the basis that it is deer legal for any species in Scotland - min 100gn for Red Deer etc. Of the two, the RWS is more accurate, but the bullet is a bit softer, and thus expands more quickly, whereas the Norma has a bit more penetration and probably better for bigger stuff at longer range.

RWS 100grn
    nice accurate round with no problems of avalibility

most rifles like them

I have used the 90g Sako in .243,good groups and worked really well in my Tikka T3 Hunter.
    I am hearing a lot of good reports on the RWS ammo as well.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by W16OEN
    Hi David,

The modified Greenhills Formulae recommends that the optimum maximum weight of bullet in relation to twist rate for a 243 is as follows 1:10 85gr, 1:9 95gr, and 1:8 107gr. I read this on this site somewhere?

I use winchester 80gr soft points on roe in my sako 75. I am thinking about trying sako 90gr gameheads to see how they group - I like the gameheads, used to put them through the 308.

Cheers
    Cheers,

I had not heard of this before. A quick look on the tikka website shows it to be 1:10 so it looks like I should start around 85 and work up to see how the groupings are affected.

David

I have not loaded them, but for my 243 I found the factory federal premium with the moly coated head (blue black in colour) 100g (power shok I think) to be excellent.

The moly coated heads took over 1/2 inch off my goups at 100yds to sub 3/4 inch groups on factory ammo over any other type, even other federal ammo.

As long as I have a stock I probably wont reload my 243.

If you can get the heads, they are worth a try. Like you I only use soft point by the way.

Anyone else know any more about the moly coated heads?
    JP