Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M98 mounting ideas

M98 mounting ideas

Gents,

curious what sort of mounting ideas you may have for your Mauser 98's.

I'm particularly interested in those of you who have NOT had the stripper clip hump milled or ground off, and what mounting systems might work with the rear bridge un-mutilated.

in addition, apart from the griffin and howe sidemount, any other ideas for scope systems that will allow a williams receiver sight in addition to the scope? like for ex. the BNZ

just a bit of brainstorming and market research really.

SD Regular
    Interesting to me too! I have a artisan Belgian 1960s 98K in 280 Remington on which the rear hump charger clip has been ground to same radius as the rest of the "bridge" but am looking at sidemounts too. Not because of a Williams RECEIVER sight but because of very low iron sights mid-barrel and at the normal place at the muzzle. Standard Redfield blocks, for a ground or unground receiver block them out if I were to fit them.

As far as top mounts go I do know that bothe Redfield and currenrlt Leupold made/make their turn in system blocks for Mauser rifles where the ring has been ground and a different one for where it has not been ground. It has a slant to the side at the front edge and a relief cut underneath.

I would like to see the various Accumounts replica sidemounts here in the UK before buying one. I am nervous about buying on eBay without prior inspection. But I do have, here, a couple of the old Pachmayr side mounts that swing over. I though that I might use them on my Mauser but then decided against it. They'll get sold out on eBay one day...eventually.

On my P-Hale M81 Classic which is a commercial Mauser receiver with neither hump nor side rail cut out that wears Redfield blocks that it came with when I purchased it at auction some years ago.

​I am now considering using Alan Rhone for the traditional claw mount system that he has.

Forget the Williams and get a Lyman 57 SME or a Redfield 48 receiver sight. The windage arms that hold the aperture are Q/D so the scope does not interfere with them and the sights are steel and not alloy.

On my Mauser 96 I have Hilver mounts with the receiver unmolested except for the drill and tap.

It would be possible of course to modify a Weaver base to clear the hump same goes for a P-H base so I would assume that the same could be done with others. The plus side of the Weaver is the low central profile allowing easier use of the aperture sight.

Look here.................:-

http://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-mauser-98-riflescope-unaltered-2-pc-steel-base.html

It would appear than Warne do a steel base to fit unaltered Mauser 98's.

I have a new Weaver #55 in my little stash which is the rear for the 98 but don't have a front base. I do have a nice Lyman 57SME but no mounting screws. If you want to have a look at it I am sure we could work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Interesting to me too! I have a artisan Belgian 1960s 98K in 280 Remington on which the rear hump charger clip has been ground to same radius as the rest of the "bridge" but am looking at sidemounts too. Not because of a Williams RECEIVER sight but because of very low iron sights mid-barrel and at the normal place at the muzzle. Standard Redfield blocks, for a ground or unground receiver block them out if I were to fit them.

As far as top mounts go I do know that bothe Redfield and currenrlt Leupold made/make their turn in system blocks for Mauser rifles where the ring has been ground and a different one for where it has not been ground. It has a slant to the side at the front edge and a relief cut underneath.

I would like to see the various Accumounts replica sidemounts here in the UK before buying one. I am nervous about buying on eBay without prior inspection. But I do have, here, a couple of the old Pachmayr side mounts that swing over. I though that I might use them on my Mauser but then decided against it. They'll get sold out on eBay one day...eventually.

On my P-Hale M81 Classic which is a commercial Mauser receiver with neither hump nor side rail cut out that wears Redfield blocks that it came with when I purchased it at auction some years ago.

​I am now considering using Alan Rhone for the traditional claw mount system that he has.
    I was just talking to Erwin from Alan Rhone (the guru), and he was arguing that the clawmount locks need the entire rear base, so milling of the hump and re-proofing is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Forget the Williams and get a Lyman 57 SME or a Redfield 48 receiver sight. The windage arms that hold the aperture are Q/D so the scope does not interfere with them and the sights are steel and not alloy.

On my Mauser 96 I have Hilver mounts with the receiver unmolested except for the drill and tap.

It would be possible of course to modify a Weaver base to clear the hump same goes for a P-H base so I would assume that the same could be done with others. The plus side of the Weaver is the low central profile allowing easier use of the aperture sight.

Look here.................:-

http://www.opticsplanet.com/warne-mauser-98-riflescope-unaltered-2-pc-steel-base.html

It would appear than Warne do a steel base to fit unaltered Mauser 98's.

I have a new Weaver #55 in my little stash which is the rear for the 98 but don't have a front base. I do have a nice Lyman 57SME but no mounting screws. If you want to have a look at it I am sure we could work something out.
    thanks for the info and help Brit, much appreciated.

I like the Lyman SME too, just happen to have a williams in stock you see. the aperture arm actually comes off the williams too, just slides out the top of the installatin fixture with the screw of a button. is that the same as the Lyman?

what I originally had in mind was something like a griffin and howe sidemount that would leave the receiver sight permanently on of course, but realise that might not be possible using more traditional mounts.

the other issue is I don't want to drill and tab the front of the receiver on the beautiful crest,,,so the barrel saddle clawmounts were attractive, if only they would fit the unaltered rear bridge

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    thanks for the info and help Brit, much appreciated.

I like the Lyman SME too, just happen to have a williams in stock you see. the aperture arm actually comes off the williams too, just slides out the top of the installatin fixture with the screw of a button. is that the same as the Lyman?

what I originally had in mind was something like a griffin and howe sidemount that would leave the receiver sight permanently on of course, but realise that might not be possible using more traditional mounts.

the other issue is I don't want to drill and tab the front of the receiver on the beautiful crest,,,so the barrel saddle clawmounts were attractive, if only they would fit the unaltered rear bridge

The Lyman 57SME has a spring loaded button just like the P-H target sights to release the arm.

Have you thought about Reckengle, Apel and possibly Zrak for a side mount. The G&H one requires careful machining and is darned expensive. P-H used to make these "Continental" type side mounts but I have never come across one as yet in person.

See here:-

http://www.eaw.de/en/products/slide-...nts-slide.html

Apel still list them it looks like. At least they show them on their front page. The G&H ones are normally pinned as well as screwed into place.

Edit:- found this on the US e-bay site replicar 98 side mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-steel-LSR-sniper-scope-mount-for-German-Mauser-K98-98K-K98k-/370945463281

Not cheap but..................
    Last edited by Brithunter; 22-11-2013 at 13:42. Reason: Addition

Ohhh, does the lyman arm come off or swing to the side?....PM me your price Sir. I assume you don't want to swap for the williams then? swap + cash maybe?

Ohhh, does the lyman arm come off or swing to the side?....PM me your price Sir. I assume you don't want to swap for the williams then? swap + cash maybe?
    ​My thoughts were you could see how you like it then get one. They are often on the dreaded bay especially the American site.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    ​My thoughts were you could see how you like it then get one. They are often on the dreaded bay especially the American site.
    just had a look on scumbay, and yes, a few there..were you thinking I could pay the P&P back and forth and inspect yours to see if I wanted to get one? could be arranged. just having a bit more of a look into the mounting solutions, because if I go for bases that fit an 'unaltered' bridge, then the receiver sight arm has to sit above that, which means I might need a very high front sight, in addition of course, I will need QD mounts rather than clawmounts, and would have to drill/tap over the front receiver ring crest.

if only clawmounts could be made for unaltered mausers!

maybe I'm best grinding down the hump using clawmounts in a barrel saddle and rear bridge lock, front and express sights that can fold flat, with removable arm receiver sight that works over the 5mm high clawmounts

..curious what sort of mounting ideas you may have for your Mauser 98's....
    PKL. I'm looking to get a nice rail fitted to mine. Regards JCS