Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calibre for Red Stag - 6.5x47

Calibre for Red Stag - 6.5x47

My apologies for starting another best calibre thread, but I was just wondering if anyone has any success with the 6.5x47 Lapua on Red Stag, as I would like to use one as my all-around UK stalking rifle. Apparently, A 140 grain Berger VLD can retain over 2000 fps and 1500 lbs at 300 yards, which should be enough to ethically kill a red stag? Any thoughts or other calibres are welcomed, as I am also considering the 6.5-284, 6.5x68, 6.5-06 and 6.5x65RWS, but they may be a little harsh on Roe and the barrel. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    My apologies for starting another best calibre thread, but I was just wondering if anyone has any success with the 6.5x47 Lapua on Red Stag, as I would like to use one as my all-around UK stalking rifle. Apparently, A 140 grain Berger VLD can retain over 2000 fps and 1500 lbs at 300 yards, which should be enough to ethically kill a red stag? Any thoughts or other calibres are welcomed, as I am also considering the 6.5-284, 6.5x68, 6.5-06 and 6.5x65RWS, but they may be a little harsh on Roe and the barrel. Thank you.
    first, get on the intro page and describle yourself before admin slaps you over the wrist. LOL

secondly, 6.5x47 lapua will take stags like any other calibre from 6mm upwards, it's a good alround chambering, but needs a custom build and handloading of course. Berger VLD...contentious issue that - have you been on youtube a lot lately ;-) ! you mention a lot of non-standard and wildcat chamberings, many of which are impossible to buy ammo for, may need brass forming, and will be costly to build,,,not to mention barrel burners (f. ex. 6.5x284 will probably not live to see 1000 rounds).

6.5 is a great calibre, why not go with a 6.5x55 which is widely available, as is ammo, and will do ANYTHING any of the above will do equally well.

I have done the load development on 2 6.5x47 Laps that my friends have had built. It's a great round and in my opinion the best all round calibre there is.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    I have done the load development on 2 6.5x47 Laps that my friends have had built. It's a great round and in my opinion the best all round calibre there is.
    do they kill better than others?

"first, get on the intro page and describle yourself before admin slaps you over the wrist. LOL"

Whew...thanks!

"6.5 is a great calibre, why not go with a 6.5x55 which is widely available, as is ammo, and will do ANYTHING any of the above will do equally well."

I already had the 6.5x55, which has been commandeered by my other half, so I am looking to be different, and do a custom build.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    do they kill better than others?
    Perhaps not but it is a more accurate round than a 6.5x55 and that is FACT. I have also had 6.5x284 which is another great round, as for it being a barrel burner, yes it can be harsh on barrels but in stalking terms it will shoot far more than 1000 rounds. It's only the benchrest guys shooting strings of 10 rounds right off that have this issue. Heat kills barrels and a stalking rifle does not go through this kind of abuse, also 6.5x284 is available in factory loadings should the user require them.

If youre determined to use a 140gn bullet the 47 lap might not be the best choice, but it performs very well with sub 130gn bullets in sporter rifles. My 47 has a 20" barrel and shoots 120/123gn bullets at >2800 fps and will hold sub 1" groups at 300y. Its relatively kind to roe carcasses, poleaxes fallow and reds at long range have not been a problem for friends who shoot the same calibre.

​Its a very accurate round, easy to load accurately for and sweet to shoot, brass lasts well also

only way to find out is get one..

I have to ask why it's a more precise cartridge on target than the 6.5x55?

Surely the precision of the chambering in the build and quality of barrel have effects on precision in grouping not the case itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I have to ask why it's a more precise cartridge on target than the 6.5x55?

Surely the precision of the chambering in the build and quality of barrel have effects on precision in grouping not the case itself.
    ​I cant answer why, it just is!

perhaps its the way that lapua engineers designed the case?

As Gary says, its down to the efficiency of the case design and the way the powder column burns. The benchrest guy's love this chambering and for good reason. As with the 6mm BR the short case design shoots really well. Both of the 6.5x47's I have loaded for love the Nosler Ballistic Tip 120gr heads and they have both ended on 39gr of Viht N540 (over the published maximum load so use with care) running at 3050fps One was using the outstanding BAT action and a 26" barrel and the other an RPA Quadlite action and a 30" barrel (no velocity gain over the 26" barrel due to the powder column being burned completely within the 26") Very little recoil and will shoot sub 1" at 300Y as Gary has also found.