Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hounds First Water Find

Hounds First Water Find

Short write up for anyone who works dogs that's interested. Not an epic heroic effort, just interesting...

I was out at Sika hinds a couple of evenings ago with a mate, ajfab off the site. We split up and after 30 mims or so I heard his first shot from the other side of the hill to me. Excellent, I thought one in the larder with lots of time left. 20 mins later another shot from him. I thought great, that's my area disturbed now!

So, I made my way back to the truck and got a message from him asking if I had the dog, as the second hind had ran off down a really steep banking towards the loch that's there, through the mature larch. I met up with him in the now darkness, and he showed me the hair and blood on the forest road which was the shot site. Blood suggested a good chest hit and a likely dead hind hopefully not too far away. Torches out as just a wee but dark for safety underfoot, Whisky on the lead, shown shot site and whoosh, off down this 45deg slope!!! Hot track, not difficult in the slightest to be honest, but after 50m or so she veered sharply to her left and pulled very hard, meaning I had to let the lead go otherwise I was a*se over t*t!

In the headlamp she was seen stopping at the waters edge looking straight out. She then took a few paces left and right obviously looking for the scent, then back to this one spot and again almost pointing out to the water. Adrain was sure she had come off the track he had briefly followed earlier. Anyway, down we went and in the lamp the dead hind could be seen lying floating 15' out or so, shot on the money through the chest, proven during the gralloch the 30-06 bullet had smashed lungs. She only weighed 65lbs, again highlighting how tough Sika are. Didn't bother to check in the dark if the track had been left and she was on air scent, down wind of the real track, but regardless, it was an interesting find! It would have been a good one for the the video camera...

Well done Whisky!
    I know exactly what you mean with "hard pulling on a hot track"...
    Interesting about the scent so, do you think it got the track and scent till the shore or out of the water too?
    Next thing to get you is a diving suit for Whisky...
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    Well done Whisky!
    I know exactly what you mean with "hard pulling on a hot track"...
    Interesting about the scent so, do you think it got the track and scent till the shore or out of the water too?
    Next thing to get you is a diving suit for Whisky...
    She has done well crossing water (small rivers) following deer 4 times now. She knows to work out that if the scent stops at the riverbank, she looks up and down in either direction and then returns to the track knowing she has to now cross. I'm wondering that when she came to the loch for her it was a case of it just being a large piece of water she had to cross. The way the wind was, what little there was, I think she tracked downwind of the 'actual track' by a few metres but when she came to the waters edge there was blood again where the hind had last been before entering the water. I don't think she would have got a scent from the deer itself however, its possible the scent was in fact still sitting above the water continuing on from where the deer entered...

she likes water and goes swimming with the other dogs. It was cold that night and she's not stupid, so stood and watched while we threw a small log over the deer attached to her tracking lead! It would have been a really good ending if she had barked at the deer floating there!

It would have been interesting if it had been in daylight and I could have seen for certain if she was slightly downwind of it. As we have spoken about before, if it had not been for the evidence at the shot sight, she would not have been tracking in the dark but we were confident it was a dead deer lying there. If this had been a wounded deer we were tracking we would have missed signs along the way...

I did wonder if you jumped in to retrieve it! Well done Whiskey

You didn't strip off and swim out to retrieve the beast? Your getting soft in your old age!! Well done both, good work whisky
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Well done....
    Watch though,might get accused of back slapping....
    Therefore-WHAT WERE YOU DOING releasing the dog-you should have went arse over tit,the world will end-sure Adrian would have enjoyed that....

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

No back slapping allowed!!!

An interesting track, a wee bit different from the usual.
    I wonder what made the beast take to the water ...

Perhaps the 45' slope had something to do with it

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Perhaps the 45' slope had something to do with it
    Ha, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    No back slapping allowed!!!

An interesting track, a wee bit different from the usual.
    I wonder what made the beast take to the water ...
    To be honest I think it was just the end of a run it took with no intention as such from the deer