Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale

Parker Hale

I know they are an old style rifle, but thats it.......does anyone shoot this PH rifle either in 243 or whatever cal?? what are they like ? steel quality etc & accuracy ?

They look a good quality riflr ,if not basic..comments please.

Thanks

I view them as the rifle that fashion forgot.

Based on a solid and proven design - in many cases using surplus Mauser actions and produced by Birmingham gunmakers - who arguably had a bit of experience.

Add in Roger Hale - a gun enthusiast ( if not sadly a great businessman ).

Those I have seen/ owned shot well for the standards of the time ( before anything less than wragged single holes at 300yds mandated a rifle be scarpped ) If this 'problem' was too much to bear, I suspect Border et al could rustle up a suitable tube in short order.

PH were in the running for the Brit Army sniper rifle and were squeezed out by Malcolm C's Accuracy International. The PH rifle was effectively a militarized version of their sporting offerring.

The old Handgunner magazine coined the perfect phrase - about the M81 parker Hale - 'It is everything a man of taste could wish for in a rifle'. Add the 1200C superclip to that list and I would concur.

Hope helps.

I'm no Mauser expert, but I'm getting interested

The vast majority (so I've read) of Parker Hales use Santa Barbara '98 Muaser actions - true 98 ones made in spain. They are meant to be a little on the rough side (age will have smoothed things though), but are tough, reliable and accurate. Some of the early ones had FN actions I think - the most desirable s/h 98 actions.

I have a BSA made 308 Norma Magnum on a Santa Barbara action. It's an older gun but smooth as silk. No questions about the strength at all. ~Muir

I bought a .308 PH from the game fair about 12 years ago, i learnt to shoot fullbore rifles with it and looking back at my first atempts at reloading for it, it was capable of 1" @100m as long as i did my bit.
    I sold it because of other peoples opinion of them (parker hale nail was one comment) if i still had it now i wouldn't be in any particular rush to sell it.

Nothing wrong with PH rifles.

Ezzy

I have an FN-actioned Parker Hale .270, factory bedded into a lovely figured walnut Monte Carlo safari stock. It's capable of 0.5"-0.75" at 200 yards off a benchrest, using a homeload of 60gns H4831, CCI BR2 primer and a Hornady 130gn softpoint bullet, set long at 0.277" off the ogive. I'm hoping it will be even better / consistent when the trigger gets a fettling shortly by Mike Norris.

They are lovely rifles at seriously bargain prices - mine was cheap but Vizlamad recently bought an unused and unmarked PH .270 and 6x42 Swarovski scope for 350 - it was just gathering dust on an RFD's shelf. Another shooting buddy bought a very decent PH in .30-06 for under 200. My only vague criticism - and it's more of a criticism of Mauser actions than PH rifles per se - is the sloppy bolt feel at full extension, exaggerated even more on a long action like the .270.

Andrew Banner at Wildcat Rifles in Droitwich has a knack of sourcing really nice Parker Hales.

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    I have an FN-actioned Parker Hale .270, factory bedded into a lovely figured walnut Monte Carlo safari stock. It's capable of 0.5"-0.75" at 200 yards off a benchrest, using a homeload of 60gns H4831, CCI BR2 primer and a Hornady 130gn softpoint bullet, set long at 0.277" off the ogive. I'm hoping it will be even better / consistent when the trigger gets a fettling shortly by Mike Norris.

Adam.
    Is the trigger heavy ? why you having it worked? thanks

The trigger on my PH - in common with many PH rifles - is basically an early version of the very good Timney trigger. It is highly adjustable; unfortunately mine was adjusted to a pull of about 150lbs when I bought it.

Reducing it to around 3lbs was straightforward and made a massive difference as you'd imagine! However, my rifle fettling skills are a bit limited, despite having the PH trigger manual and only needing a screwdriver and small spanner for the job, so it's going to Mike Norris to be adjusted to a final 2lb pull and have the sears polished to a silky smooth finish at the same time. If Vizlamad's PH is anything to go by, having recently had the same treatment, it should end up as good in feel as a Jewell trigger but for a mere 50

Adam.

Mrs Finnbear's PH .308 shoots like a dream, (though it did have to have the buttstock made to look like it was for a bank job)

Here's one from the Holts January sealed bid sale:

Sale S1035 Lot 3510

PARKER HALE .270 (WIN) 'SAFARI' BOLT-MAGAZINE SPORTING RIFLE, serial no. R1814M, 22in. nitro barrel (rear sight removed), mounted with scope rings, insert repair to right of stock
    Estimate 60-80

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com...1007&saletype=