Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsure...

Unsure...

Morning,
    i grassed a muntjac Doe last night along with her very young follower.

gralloch showed a small swelling of mess enteric node, but nothing alarming.
    As doe was neck shot, heart and lungs were in tact, a rare shot for me to take. Hence unsure re the heart.

Can anyone identify the two objects (?) one either side of the top of the heart.
    have included image of slight discolouration / spotting of the lungs.

Heart was slightly larger than expected, but density texture fine. Lungs also of normal texture.

in addition, never seen mammaries as large nod dense, but never taken a doe with as young a follower before.

Thanks

​Tabs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Doesn't look like anything untoward to me. Did you check the mediastinal? If there was anything wrong in the chest you might have seen it there. What did the lymph nodes on the head look like?

Thanks TackleB'.
    All looked fine, she was alert apparently healthy and in v good condition.
    Concerned because I can't identify what appear be growths coming from the top of each heart chamber and any issues that may be related.
    any vets on here that can help identify the body part?

​tabs

The parts I think you are referring to are a normal part of the heart,nothing sinister.

Martin

The lungs look like the early stages of pneumonia which is referred to as red hepatisation in meat inspection lingo,
    Brian

If you are referring to the red flappy things between your finger and thumb, they are part of the atria - the top chambers of the heart and are normal.

Could blood in the lungs cause the colouration? I wonder if there are any forensic pathologists on the site !?!

The blood in the lungs looks perfectly normal for a shot animal, Is it the bullet impact pressure wave that has burst blood vessels in the lungs causing the patching/bruising.

The anatomical term is auricle. They are a normal feature of the heart, but I am unaware of them performing any function.

Right Auricle

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    The blood in the lungs looks perfectly normal for a shot animal, Is it the bullet impact pressure wave that has burst blood vessels in the lungs causing the patching/bruising.
    Hydrostatic shock? The op says the deer was neck shot so would not apply here I don't think.