How many rifles on FAC?

stevefranks

This may be a silly question to most, so bear with me!

I am going for my FAC in the next few months. My question is how many rifles per calibre can you own on an FAC? With a SGC you can own (within reason) as many as you want (though more than 10 flags a concern with FLO's I think?)

Is this the case with FAC's or is it one rifle per calibre?

I don't need or want more than one, it is just out of interest...

My understanding is that each rifle (and moderator and spare barrel etc) has to be individually specified on your FAC, i.e. you have to apply for permission to acquire each item and you need to show "good reason" for each. This is quite different from the rules for a SGC where, as you rightly say, you can have as many as you like (with more than around ten triggering concerns!).

You could have several rifles of the same calibre, but you would have to show good reason for each, which unless you are a collector, for example, might be difficult!

If you're making a new application, you have to pay for it so although you think you only want one rifle, you never have too many so you might want to put down a couple of extras - something for deer (maybe one for small ones and another for large ones), something for foxes etc. You don't have to buy them all at once.

HTH

Andrew

I went for .22lr, 243 and 270. Givesyou rabbits foxes and roe, abnd a big one for red/sika, That gives you a good arguement for all. It is all for the price of one when a variation is chargable. If you don't need in the 5 years of the licence you possibly loose the extras but at least they are there if you need them
Jim

Like Jim said - it's the same fee for one rifle or three. If you decided you wanted a 308 instead of a 270, say, that's a 1-for-1 variation which is free. Remember if you want a moderator, apply for it in the initial application.

Andrew

Which police authority are you in. Maybe a local can advise you on what the Firearms dept like in your locality.There will be members in your area, Jim

I'm in Northern constabulary, we're spoilt

1x 270
1x25-06
1x22-250
3x243
3x 22lr
1x .17hrm
2x 3+ semi automatic shotguns

and have room for 300wsm, 6.5 x 55, 22-250
and mods for all rifles

Like the advert says, cos I want to!

If you're unlucky like me then you'll have to identify the specific use for each and every firearm and state why no other of your already owned ones will satisfy the need:

At present i have:
1x Steyr SSG69 in 308 - stalking, vermin .
1x CZ 527 in 223 - stalking, vermin and target shooting.
1x Winchester mod70 in 22-250 - vermin (fox bashing).
1x Accuracy International in 308 - target shooting (practical rifle)
1x Schmidt Rubin in 7.5x55 swiss - target shooting (historic military)
1x Marlin lever action in 45 long colt - target shooting (gallery rifle)
1x Mauser 105 semi auto in 22lr - vermin and target
1x Anschutz match 64 in 22lr - prone target shooting
1x pederssoli old navy black powder pistol in .44cal - target shooting.

No probs with owning shotguns - i've got about 9-10.

I used to moan about Essex Police. I now realise just how fortunate i was. My current force is very much more 'itchy'.

The simple answer is that there is no laid down limit, but you must be able to justify needing or having asomewhere to use each one!

Beware that some constabularies will start making extra demands on security when you have a certain number. In my area (Hants) they demand that the house is fully alarmed once you reach 7 rifles & shotguns or more stored. Your Firearms Dept wiull be able to give you advice on this if you need it.

Mole

ive been told ( wiltshire constabulary) that its six rifles / shotguns, then your place needs to be alarmed

which is a shame really as we have 3 shooters in our house :(

Great advice - thanks everyone..

What I was really confused about was say you were given permission for a .243 to use on xyz land and land deemed suitable by Police and you bought said .243

If you wanted a second .243 for backup/breakdown for use on same land would you have apply for variation for second .243 rifle?

I totally understand re different calibre variations..

Thanks in advance

Steve

In short, yes, you'd need a variation for a second 243 rifle. If you lived in Suffolk, I doubt you'd get it - they would view "breakdown" as hard luck... Better to apply for a rifle in a different calibre. That makes sense anyway, in my (somewhat limited) experience, rifles rarely "break down".

Andrew

The comment about alarms confuses me .... why would the presence of more or less firearms be a stipulation for an alarm? Surely 1 or 100, firearms are there.

I know an old gamekeeper up Scotland who was once asked about getting an alarm. He refused and just pointed to the 2 dogs lying by the fire - thats' my security system. They accepted it.

The need for alarm systems, and other forms of security, is covered in Chapter 19 of the Home Office Firearms Guidance document (available on the web at http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/pub...policing/HO-Firearms-Guidance.pdf?view=Binary).

It's only guidance of course ':lol:', and the following paragraph is interesting/amusing:

19.5 Forces should note that while the
requirements to keep firearms securely are
statutory, there are no statutory provisions
on how this duty should be discharged.

Andrew

Northern have always been happy for you to have a spare rifle[maybe beause they will have the biggest % of keepers/stalkers]
I've never had a request for an alarm system although I did fit one.

Back