Venison Liver Pate

Andy L

Having just return from a couple of days curing an itchy trigger finger, I have some liver that I need to use up. I have too much to just eat with a bit of bacon so thought I might try making some liver pate. Anybody got any recipes or other ideas?

Found something out about venison liver last week. If you don't have a recipe for liver pate, don't cook it all and feed it to the dogs two nights running. It makes a horrible mess that ressembles black treacle and is spread all over the utility room! Not pleasant. :(

Andy, you shouldn't feed liver to dogs. Their digestive systems cannot cope with it (as you have found out).
I have a reciepe somewhere deep in a file and have made several lots over the years. I will post it when I find it.

i had a similar incident in my utility room the night after i took my 2yr old lab pheasant shooting for the first time! not sure what she ate but the result looked like 6 large chocolate milkshakes had been dropped from a great height onto the utility room floor. 2 hours of scrubbing and three changes of clothes got it sorted. i should have let her out when she was whining during the night. its amazing how her dog, becomes "your dog" when that kind of thing happens!

Andy L,

This is South African recipe for Kudu liver Paté but i've used it on other species (including fallow) before. Everyone who's had it before loves it.

It can be frozen and defrosted when needed but the advice i was given was not to freeze it for more than 3 months.

KUDU LIVER PÂTÉ

500g kudu liver*
50ml butter
100ml cake flour
750ml milk
30ml butter
125g rindless bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, bruised
1 celery stalk, chopped
5ml salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1ml ground cloves
Pinch of grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground coriander
30ml sherry
2 eggs

Prepare the liver (*see below).
Melt the butter and stir in the cake flour.
Remove from heat, add milk.
Return to heat and stir until boiling point is reached. It should be thick and smooth. Keep aside. Fry the bacon in the heated butter.
Add the onion and stirfry until soft and glossy.
Add the garlic and celery and continue to stirfry. Remove and keep aside.
Fry liver until firm and medium done. Remove.
Pour the white sauce into a food processor and add all the remaining ingredients. Purée until smooth. Season if necessary. Grease a 1,5 litre dish with butter and pour the mixture into it.
Put the dish in a deeper pan or oven dish and fill the oven dish with warm water, reaching halfway up the pâté dish. Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 60 to 75 minutes or until firm and set. Allow to cool, cover and leave in the fridge until needed. Loosen the sides and turn out the baked pâté.
Garnish with a fresh thyme sprig and serve with Melba toast or fresh bread rolls and gherkins.

*For the preparation of liver and kidneys: Rinse the liver and kidneys under cold water. Soak them in a solution of 1 litre water and 200 ml vinegar for 10 minutes. The outer membranes will become white and milky in colour – pull them off. Soak the liver/kidneys in milk or buttermilk for approximately 1-2 hours, and remove the tubes. Drain and pat dry. Cut into cubes or slices.

sp4rkman

That sounds just the job, l have been looking for a good pate recipe, you can only have so many stalkers breakfasts with the results of a succesfull stalk :D even though they are good and quite often well deserved.

Same here, well done Sp4rkman. Thanks Andy for the thread, I have a couple of recipes but that one of Sp4rky's sounds the best. ;)

Cake Flour is ordinary white flour - sorry us South African's can be a bit wierd sometimes

Got quite a few venison recipes so if you're looking for something just ask. Most of them come from a South African Game Recipe book i've got -I havent tried most of them, but the ones i have, are great.

Elephant Stew Recipe

Here's one for you all try when we go out to SA....

Ingredients

1 Elephant
10 Warthog
100 kilogram tomatoes
half ton potatoes
2 bags onions
100 kilogram salt
1 wheelbarrow onions (heaped)
10 liter vinegar
20 liter chutney
4 Guineafowl

Method

Hunt the elephant, warthog and guineafowl. Hang guineafowl to ripen. Cut elephant into edible chunks, (will take about a month). Boil the warthog with other ingredients (except guineafowl) till nice and juicy. Now boil elephant chunks over high flames till tender. (will take about 4 weeks) and add everything together. Boil for another 5 to 7 days.

Produces about 3,500 helpings.

Note: If the above isn't enough, add the guineafowl as well.

mr B will like that one but he made need a desert incase the guinea fowl are out of season
now then sp4rkman give me a good recipe for poki cois( not the right spelling ) as i hav a few joints to cut up and eat , i do hav a big pot to cook them in though

sp4rkman

Can you subsitute the elephant for anything else as l seem to be clean out of them :D .

You mean this land of plenty doesn't have elephants?? I'm really disspointed - the brochure promised the land of milk, honey and elephants! Guess i was conned

Another elephant recipe

Take 1 small elephant
1 carton of cream (single)

Method
Place in liquidiser replace lid swich on and leave until smooth
Switch off and sieve to remove bones
Fill bottle and cap
Place label bearing elephant logo on outside of bottle

Known as Amarula.

Don't believe me just look in Sainsbury. Alcohol section Elephants on label

Morena

Its true I've drank it....I think I did...I can't remember anything but the hang over! It was like stampeding elephants in my head! :(

I'm rather sad at the moment actually. I watched a wildlife program this evening about Nambian desert elephants. After weeks and weeks of care by its grandmother this little orphaned elephant gave up from hunger and died. :( Bloody sad or what! In a fair world it would have been Gordon Brown hungry in the desert and the elephant would have survived! :lol:

In a fair world it would have been Gordon Brown hungry in the desert and the elephant would have survived! :lol:[/quote]

No such bloody luck but we can all live in hope l suppose, maybe he will bugger of to france with his new buddy and his new buddys mum in law :D but then l will pitty the french for havin to put up with him

I heard that the French and we Brits are going to give even more money to Africa. How many more swimming pools do the military dictators who run these banana republic countries need? :eek: The money will be filtered through the system and nothing will come out at the end its needed, why bother? Have we tax payers got nothing better to do with our money? :eek:

Back