Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable cooking system that fits in a daysac

Portable cooking system that fits in a daysac

I'm looking for ideas for a portable cooking system so am interested to hear if anyone has one that meets the following requirements: it will be lightweight, take up minimal space, have good heat output, be able to regulate output finely, possibly have two burners. I prefer not to use liquid fuels, so ideally it will run on gas.

It will be used on stalking trips to knock up bacon, eggs & a brew and should fit easily in a daysac.

What do you use?

Out of interest, what puts you off stoves with liquid burners?

I have used hexi-stoves, gas stoves with butane canisters and liquid burners like trangia. MSR do a mini gas stove called the pocket rocket which might suit you. They all have advantages and disadvantages though. Currently experimenting with a full size trangia and also ghillie kettle.

Love this,

I think you are making your life far too complex with all your requirements.

Get something like a Crusader stove and the little pot. You could also put a non-stick frying pan on it if necessary, or use the non-stick pot that is available. I think it will cost about 20 and is the simplest device known to man, which is a big advantage in the field.

You can run it on hexi tabs, which are readily available. Even better is to buy the big drums of chaffing gel from catering suppliers (or ebay and Amazon) and use that, or a combination of the gel and a hexi tab. The gel works out at around 10 for 4kg which will keep you going for a long time. Don't buy the little gel pouches as they are the same stuff, but cost about 1 for enough to make a cup of tea. I decant the gel into a plastic half liter milk bottle for carrying in my rucksack.

If you want meals in the field take a look at these people, they do great self heating meals that you can pop in the bag and with a bit of thought (sheltering from the wind, insulating with a coat or in the rucksack) the food is really hot:

http://www.hotpackmeals.co.uk/

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I agree with keeping it simple. But it does depend on whether you are cooking or brewing up out of pure necessity or if you enjoy the experience of cooking outside. I used hexi, gas and meth/alocohol burners when in the forces and back then it was out of necessity although I did enjoy it. I was limited to boil in the bag when it came to the menu. Weight was an important factor. Since then I do it more for enjoyment so I decide on whether to go simple or more complex depending on where I am and time I have.

Have a primus omnifuel with fold up burner, great bit of lightweight kit will do a brew or cook decent meals also runs off gas or with a simple jet change can be hand primed to use petrol, diesel, kerosene paraffin meths white spirit, kelly kettle does me a brew in less than 3 mins.
    Last edited by rick6point5; 23-11-2013 at 18:58. Reason: typo

I use one of these and it is super all you need for a weekend or week away, powerfull i cannot fault it. I also use a tripod with a hanging fire when camping and stalking, atb wayne

Gas Portable 2 Burner stove Camping Outdoor Double Cooker Stove With Grill Case | eBay

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Trangia burner and a little pot or a fold up stove with Hexy blocks topped up with twigs etc.

The trouble with hexi is the horrible sticky residue that is left on the bottom of the pan.

I used to use a warm soggy teabag that I had just made a brew with to clean it off whilst still warm. Never found a better method and you have the added benefit of a nice cup if tea.
    Last edited by Druid; 23-11-2013 at 19:45. Reason: Typo

MSR pocket rocket.

spent years trying to find the answer to this problem. Got one of these 2 years ago, and it is perfect. I use it with the pots scavenged from an old trangia.

i'd just add that I'd sooner eat my own feet than use hexi.
    Last edited by Mungo; 23-11-2013 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    The trouble with hexi is the horrible sticky residue that is left on the bottom of the pan.

I used to use a warm soggy teabag that I had just made a brew with to clean it off whilst still warm. Never found a better method and you have the added benefit of a nice cup if tea.
    Ah yes but I found a way round it...ceramic coat the base! Works a treat.