Thread: Exhangeable barrel speed

Exhangeable barrel speed

I read a lot of articles about how quickly you can change the barrels on exchangeable barrel rifles. Why is this such an important factor, its not as if you take your rifle on a stalk and then decide to change the barrel midway, whilst trying to break the Guiness World Record in the process. Just don't see why speed is so important.

Many people take spur of the moment trips and wouldn't want the inconvenience of a time consuming barrel change. It is marketed as the only rifle you need. I don't have one.

Perhaps it's because the market these are aimed at the people who buy them have such a short attention span if it takes too long they lose interest .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Perhaps it's because the market these are aimed at the people who buy them have such a short attention span if it takes too long they lose interest .
    You mean the type that like their quarry pointed out to them when at a shootable distance?

I am actually going to try an R93 when I can do some more reshuffling in the cabinet.

Its not so much the time but the effort involved
    i have a switch barrel rifle and the speed is not a problem but is directly linked to the ease of change

I had a switch barrel rifle although it was never advertised as such and finding spare barrels was a PITA according to American sites I used to frequent. I did remove the barrel once when both I and the rifle got drenched. Only because once I noticed the barrel clamp I wished to see how easily it came out.

​The ultimate switch barrels of course are the doubles and those like the Blaser K95.

Most bolt actions are switch barrel rifles. It's just that with most you need a barrel vice to swap one for another, which is not exactly convenient. Early take downs built on Mausers were and are essentially an easy means by which you can unscrew the barrel from the receiver without resorting to makro tools. How repeatable these are, will very much be dependent on workmanship first, sighting systems etc. if you are shooting open sights in the days when a 3" group at 100yds was considered accurate, you would nt notice a minor shift in zero. Nowadays with scopes a shift of POI by 1/2" May be unacceptable.

Where it may become important is if you are shooting different types of game in the same trip, say on an African Safari. But here you probably want a big bore for buffalo etc, and something small with good long range potential for plains game. It's called a 375 H&h. Otherwise if you want a medium calibre for say deer etc, and a high velocity 22centrefire for small deer / foxes etc, it's called a Bergstutzens - a double with one barrel in say 7x65r and one in 222. Time to switch calibres is the move to a different trigger, or the slide of a selector button.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Its not so much the time but the effort involved i have a switch barrel rifle and the speed is not a problem but is directly linked to the ease of change
    I think this is the key point - they aren't saying you'd want to change a barrel in 30 seconds but what they are saying is that the rifle comes apart so easily it can be done in a matter of seconds. This makes the rifle really easy to live with and an ideal tool for stalking in bad conditions and for travel.

I have an R93 and only one barrel for it but it is great to be able to take the barrel off so easily when, for example, I've been out in the rain all day and need to shake the water out of it. If it took an hour to get the barrel off this wouldn't be so simple and would increase the length of time taken to clean the rifle by a significant amount, specially with the weather I seem to stalk in. Having the scope come off in 2 seconds and go back to zero when returned is also great under these circumstances as it can sit in a warm room overnight, plus travelling with the rifle is just so simple when it breaks down to its component parts in a matter of seconds. I can probably have my Blaser in its case ready to fly in 2 minutes and the case isn't much bigger than a briefcase.

So, I guess the other way to look at the question is this: is there any disadvantage in having a breakdown rifle that only takes a few seconds to break down?
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I think this is the key point - they aren't saying you'd want to change a barrel in 30 seconds but what they are saying is that the rifle comes apart so easily it can be done in a matter of seconds. This makes the rifle really easy to live with and an ideal tool for stalking in bad conditions and for travel.

I have an R93 and only one barrel for it but it is great to be able to take the barrel off so easily when, for example, I've been out in the rain all day and need to shake the water out of it. If it took an hour to get the barrel off this wouldn't be so simple and would increase the length of time taken to clean the rifle by a significant amount, specially with the weather I seem to stalk in. Having the scope come off in 2 seconds and go back to zero when returned is also great under these circumstances as it can sit in a warm room overnight, plus travelling with the rifle is just so simple when it breaks down to its component parts in a matter of seconds. I can probably have my Blaser in its case ready to fly in 2 minutes and the case isn't much bigger than a briefcase.

So, I guess the other way to look at the question is this: is there any disadvantage in having a breakdown rifle that only takes a few seconds to break down?
    Fair point. I imagine a lot of users will now expect a quick change barrel as standard.

How Do's my, first post, I Am going for a breakdown rifle this time . just Ordered one , well , its a no brainer very easy to take apart and not just the barrel ,easy to clean and inspect , you can replace any bits if ever needed , easy to transport , shoot all most any calibre on the same frame , the same attachment for changing scopes , already have a sako quad and that work very well.. as for changing barrel speed ,, well 3 minutes or 30 sec that the odds, ,,, disadvantage cost of rifle an awful lot of money. To drag around in the wet, mud, and god know what else ..Then again One LIFE ENJOY , mmm CAN'T Get the wife to understand the one life BIT