Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats all the fuss..

whats all the fuss..

Hello, I been reloading with no help, just trial & error for approx 8 years, i load hornet/223/6.5/308/8/357 & 44

I start safe & when i found i got reliable hits , say within 2", i rest my head & used that same data for years.

I never take my time, i knock the rounds up by the 50's or in 100's, so i dont work to 0.1 /0.2 or what ever, i check every 10 rounds & if its say.....9gr . I will go + or - .5 upto 1gr with out any detrement.

Do you experienced loader really think, been so meticulous in loading makes so much diffrence?? really !

Even with the 223 or 308+ i allow +or - 1 to 2 gr & all is well for what i do.

I must state ,i do not comps or fancy shooting, its hunting for the table or fun...

Regards

You say you never take your time?not trying to wind anyone up are you?eight years is a real long time to get away with that sort of outlook!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    You say you never take your time?not trying to wind anyone up are you?eight years is a real long time to get away with that sort of outlook!
    ok, i dont exactly rush, but get straight on with it, in a methodical fashon.
    The point im trying to make is , i dont trickle dust to exact loads every round. I simply

ALL - de-prime
    clean
    size
    primer
    powder
    head on

check every 10/powder & length. Regards

MrYou, I am having trouble making my mind up about you, it does seem that almost every post you make has some sort of wind up potential, hope I am wrong and you are genuine, but I just had to make mention of it. It may be you are not aware of what you are doing, but then again you may be well aware. Time will tell I suppose.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB
    MrYou, I am having trouble making my mind up about you, it does seem that almost every post you make has some sort of wind up potential, hope I am wrong and you are genuine, but I just had to make mention of it. It may be you are not aware of what you are doing, but then again you may be well aware. Time will tell I suppose.

John
    Why do think this?
    I am a serious shooter, (hopefully safe) since an early age..no wind up intended, just thoughts & ideas , both ways.

I enjoy my sport & improvments i can make, I am easy going, & dont take things too serious.

Hopefully i can help some & others can suggest ideas to me.

I may be a little slow, with bad english & slight dyslexia, but I m sure i understand most things . Mechanical especially, been a good engineer!

Regards

You could get a flavour of what is required to reload to a high quality safely, by having a look at the posts on Accuratereloaders site (a long time world wide membership) under the heading embarrasing/funny moments, within the reloading pages, A lot of us are in there under one mention or another This site is rapidly getting close to the knowledge base on this subject itself 8)

Thanks 'finnbear' when i have a mo, i look at this site, just for fun.. I got ta say this is good forum.,I enjoiy too

In my 6.5-284 1gr of powder makes the difference between 5 shot groups of less than 1/3 inch and groups over an inch. Every rifle will have a sweet spot, if you took a little more time to find it you would have more pleasure from the rifle. Most folk like to have a target with as small a cluster of holes as possible for showing to mates.
    Granted you say you shoot for fun and the pot, but an accurate round will increase your fun and ensure every shot goes exactley where you think it should, thus reducing the potential for a wound or a miss.
    It does not take a fortune to reload, and once found it takes no longer to duplicate an accurate round than a dud but it does repay time and effort.

I use “Dan Newberry’s “Optimal Charge Weight Load Development”
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#
    This helps you find a sweet spot that has a built in “tolerance” that copes with variables such as powder load, temperature and velocity. Within reason the load you get is pretty much sub-minute accuracy and can be repeated time and again on the reloading bench without the need for a painstaking approach and super expensive kit.
    Some bullets never need any more work, for example my Sierra Game king load is spot on and all the fine tuning in the world does not change a thing. On the other hand I’m noticing that Hornady 129g SST rounds have settled at 1.0-1.5 minute accuracy and I’ve yet to find a seating depth that improves on this…..still a cracking hunting round though.
    As for loading method, I’m with Mr You; no need to make it too much of a chore.

Regards

I think you must very lucky with your groups!! .5grn (let alone 1-2grns) difference in any my loads will go from a nice tight 3 shot group to a load that I would not consider using in the field. Surely, like most on the SD forum I reload with a view to obtaining the best accuracy possible from my rifles! If as you say you enjoy making improvements I suggest you take a little more time and care with your reloading!