Thread: lucky day on the fallow

lucky day on the fallow

Went out with a good friend and client this morning and turned out to be a lucky day.We got to the permission at 5.50am just as it was starting to get light enough to see with the binos.We headed to a hedge over looking a wood where we had seen many slots of all manor of deer and the gamekeeper informed Peter that he had seen some fallow on his travels.So we got sticks up and waited but no movement by 650am we decided to move.We crept round the edge of the field so if any deer came out we had the wood for a good back stop.However best laid plans the wind came round and blew are scent straight back into the wood.However over on the next field(which isnt part of his permission) where four fallow bordering a wood which is ours.Now with all the will in the world hoping they would come towards us we waited, but yes you guessed it they turned and went into the wood.So we crept round the hedge onto the field which was Peters ajointing the wood.They where busy feeding then one by one they went into the wood,now these woods are over grown and no good for stalking so by now I thought the stalk was well and truly over.Then all over a sudden out they come running towards us and kept stopping and looking back at the wood.I have know idea what disturbed them but they then came right passed us 3 does all in total,to say my heart rate went up would be a understate ment,the first 2 stopped together but the last stood perfect broadside at about 80 yards.Well Peter was already and squeezed the trigger sending the 100g on its way and to which we found out later a perfect heart and lung shot.The deer ran about 10 yards and collaspsed and never moved again,3 more came past but never stopped and left with the other 2.Well once we both calmed down and waited a few minutes we went to inspect the beast and after pressing the sticks on the eye ball just to check, it was clear she was dead.I left Peter to get the motor after the grab and grin was done and when I got back the beast was galloched and ready for extraction.We had a look on another part of the permission of which we saw 11 more fallow but they where not in a safe place to shoot so we just watched them go before heading back for breakfast.As usaul there was a good breakfast waiting cooked by Peters better half Jackie,and we just had a good chat about the morning and how from to be honest looked like another blank to a fantastic LUCKY days stalking.Well done to Peter for taking a well placed shot and hope the next time will be as exciting fingers crossed.(apologises for photo on its side by I have know idea how to work this fing computer)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braintree-20131124-00149.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	35072

Well done Peter and well done Robert too!
    Merda taurorum animas conturbit

I can put the photo the right way up but don`t blame me if it ends up on an anti forum. Ok??
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by rob keeper View Post
    We crept round the edge of the field so if any deer came out we had the wood for a good back stop.
    I know I shouldn't comment on this but I have to for other stalkers' sake. A wood is never a good back stop. Just maybe the deer you shot was spooked by an early morning dog walker taking a stroll through the wood? If you cannot see where your bullet is going to land if the target is missed then you shouldn't be pulling the trigger! Anyone could be walking camping etc in that wood that you're about to fire a 100 grainer into!
    Baguio

good
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    I know I shouldn't comment on this but I have to for other stalkers' sake. A wood is never a good back stop. Just maybe the deer you shot was spooked by an early morning dog walker taking a stroll through the wood? If you cannot see where your bullet is going to land if the target is missed then you shouldn't be pulling the trigger! Anyone could be walking camping etc in that wood that you're about to fire a 100 grainer into!
    Baguio
    good point the wood is on a rising bank so techinally you would be shooting into the bank but its all in the wording so apologise for that.grammer is not my strongest point

Sounds like a great morning!

Another good stalk Rob and Peter. Well done both.
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

yes it was good fun and doing it as a job makes it all the better