Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liver Fluke in Roe

Liver Fluke in Roe

What is the mortality (roughly) rate for roe with liver fluke? I have been told that mortality is very very high, any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by tikka2506 View Post
    What is the mortality (roughly) rate for roe with liver fluke? I have been told that mortality is very very high, any opinions?

Well, all the liver fluke I have seen in Roe has been post mortem. Cause of death, sudden trauma.

I find it difficult to relate the mortality to the fluke.

Stan

I would have said very low. Any that I have seen that had liver fluke died from a 117 grainer and were otherwise very healthy!

I know what you are saying, all the ones i have seen also fell fowl to high speed lead!!! Is/has there any research been done on the subject?

In severe years, it can be very high. The roe liver seems quite susceptible, but this may just be a size issue.

Not very scientific I know but I found a dead yearling roebuck last year that had no other signs other than chronic liver fluke. We also had no twins on the estate here where I live 2011/12 and every roe I shot had evidence of fluke. Thankfully after a dry spring/summer we seem to have plenty of twins.

Buchan did an excellent talk on the subject recently!

2012 was the worst year for liver fluke that ANYONE can remember, no doubt encouraged by the incessant wet weather!!

And this year may be no better!

I don't want to speak too soon, but not been anywhere as bad this year as last (in our parts). Last year I saw a few cows with a belly full of fluid due to fluke and I've never seen that before...........

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Same here (NW England & SW Scotland wet ground with lots of sheep) animals culled this year from April onwards have been much lower burden with 2 beasts completely free of liver fluke.