Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yukon photon is this correct or a fault

Yukon photon is this correct or a fault

Hi,

Recently purchased a Yukon photon and I have noticed a couple of things that I am not sure if it is faulty or just how they are ?

1) The site picture is not a full circle. Have cross hair as normal but roughly the bottom 1/4 has a horizontal line across it and nothing can be seen below this.

2) when looking through the scope it looks as if site picture goes off to the left slightly.

I have zeroed scope but have missed several rabbits, I have not rechecked zero but intend to do so before I reuse it.But if the end NV unit is slightly out of true to the tube, then on my zero it should be good but as the distant to target is altered nearer or further the POI would shift one way left & the other way right ?? ( At the moment it's fitted on a HMR)

At the moment I'm so unimpressed that I have held up submitting a variation, as I even struggle to make out the detail of a rabbits head, even with a NM400-IR fitted.

Thanks

Hello Mate.
    Its normal to have the cropping at top and or bottom. Its a square screen in a circle.
    I am not overly impressed with mine at the moment but its early days. I need some still nights with no drizzle to get a fair go with it.
    You need to get that variation in as they take a fair while to process.

Bryan.

What you have got to remember is if you zero with the lens cover on during the day and take it off for night shooting you will get a POA shift mine moves an inch down to the left so i leave the filter cover on at night plus i think it is a lot better with the doubler and T20 converted IR check this thread out
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...1-Yukon-Photon

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    I even struggle to make out the detail of a rabbits head, even with a NM400-IR fitted.

Thanks

Out of interest what range were you looking at when you could not see the rabbits head?

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    What you have got to remember is if you zero with the lens cover on during the day and take it off for night shooting you will get a POA shift mine moves an inch down to the left so i leave the filter cover on at night plus i think it is a lot better with the doubler and T20 converted IR check this thread out
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...1-Yukon-Photon
    I've just got mine and am about to mount and zero it. Doesn't it kind of defeat the object to have a combined day/night scope that has a different point of zero for either day or night use ? Surely one shouldn't expect to have to keep the filter cover on to retain an acceptable zero throughout a 24 hour cycle !

One of the reasons I went for this unit was to exactly avoid that issue. Huh, me and my assumptions !

FN

have a read of this bud,http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ft-with-Filter i had noticed that i had hit couple rabbits in the neck my POA was behind the eye but i put it down to human error till i read this and it makes sense also was zeroing one day had it just about right when the sun got bright and was right in front of me so put filter down and walla POA had shifted ps i forgot to add and this might be significant i am using the doubler with filter so worth a try without one to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Country View Post
    Out of interest what range were you looking at when you could not see the rabbits head?
    I couldn't make out the rabbits heads from 30+ yds with the nm400-ir on due to white out from the eyeshine (I did try adjusting the focus for rabbits at varying distances and turning off the NM400. I just thought I didn't adjust the focus of the IR beam and it may be set to a spot and not flood, doh ). I suspect it was my fault as I was to eager to try out the NM400, as I had not adjusted the mode of the ir from it's original full setting. I had mounted the IR unit in an adaptor ring and clamped it between the neck & body so could not adjust mode. This is only the 2nd time that I have used Photon and 1st for the NM400 so I suspect I have got to get used to it. But I noticed the 1st time I used the photon on a clear night about 4 days before a full moon that although I could see the rabbits with a Recon 750, when I put the gun, up I was struggling to be sure that I was looking at the same rabbit and I was having to wait for them to move to be sure. hence the purchase of the NM400-ir.

I may be missing the obvious, if I am making a fundamental error please let me know. But I have altered the focus for varing distances, tryed with the in-built ir and now the 400 but seem to struggle still. I have even adjusted the eye relief to see if that made a difference at night.
    Last edited by charlieboy-shooter; 25-11-2013 at 21:22.

Hi guys just my findings on the photon you have to have your head in the exact same spot every time otherwise your aim is off far less forgiving than anormal scope also if you have the ir tourch on too high a setting is give really bad shine back through the scope it takes a few goes to get used to using it but once you do it great as for poi shift with lense cap on or off silly question really but is yourcap on straight? I ask but I have found this to be a problam I zeroed mine in the late afternoon the waited for darkkness and checked all I needed was two clicks right and I was bang on used again with cover on and still bang on
    Atb adrian
    Ow forgot to say my only coment with the paralax ajustment it is very finicky and has to be moved with slow movments or you can over ajust very easily bit of a pain but you get used to it
    Last edited by adrian0100; 25-11-2013 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy-shooter View Post
    I couldn't make out the rabbits heads from 30+ yds with the nm400-ir on due to white out from the eyeshine (I did try adjusting the focus for rabbits at varying distances and turning off the NM400. I just thought I didn't adjust the focus of the IR beam and it may be set to a spot and not flood, doh ). I suspect it was my fault as I was to eager to try out the NM400, as I had not adjusted the mode of the ir from it's original full setting. I had mounted the IR unit in an adaptor ring and clamped it between the neck & body so could not adjust mode. This is only the 2nd time that I have used Photon and 1st for the NM400 so I suspect I have got to get used to it. But I noticed the 1st time I used the photon on a clear night about 4 days before a full moon that although I could see the rabbits with a Recon 750, when I put the gun, up I was struggling to be sure that I was looking at the same rabbit and I was having to wait for them to move to be sure. hence the purchase of the NM400-ir.

I may be missing the obvious, if I am making a fundamental error please let me know. But I have altered the focus for varing distances, tryed with the in-built ir and now the 400 but seem to struggle still. I have even adjusted the eye relief to see if that made a difference at night.
    Stick a IR filter in the front lens, this will sort out your problems.

I bought mine from Scott Country it arrived several weeks ago. I put it on my Steyr Scout 308, I found it strange to look through at first, the detail at 100 yards seems to vanish, so I could see the A4 square paper target but not the 9 small targets printed on it.

I used the rubber cover that is supplied with the scope and that improved the sight picture a little in daylight, but you still couldnt make out the 9 smaller targets on the A4 paper at 100 yards.

I have to say the actually strike on the target hasnt moved at all since I zeroed the scope, it is spot on at 100 yards which is where it was zeroed. I use the illuminator from an Archer which I purchased several months ago from Gun Trader, from what I can see it works fine.

I was a little worried about the battery compartment which seems to be somewhat weak and given time will probably break, I also thought the rubber cover from the front lens could have done with a fixing to ensure it doesnt fall off and get lost, but so far the scope works fine.

Will the zero move over time when the batteries are left out of the scope? time will tell.