Thread: Marauding Deer

Marauding Deer

Hi All got a wee question whats the crack with shooting marauding deer on low ground fields mainly do i need to notify any one have permission off land owner. Before use to just shoot them, now some one is telling me i will get in to trouble about shooting them. Will p*****g some people off who were trying to get the shooting before me.
    Thanks lyon

as long as youve got permission from the land owner they cant do anything as long as your taking whats in season, also contact the snh for a general licence for crop and land damage to shoot them it shouldnt be a problem

Lyon, prepare a note of agreement with the landowner setting out that he has asked you to shoot the deer, that he gives you permission and that the attached map clearly indicates his property etc. ownership of venison etc and both you and the landowner sign this. You also need to be very clear as to what he actually wants shooting - you might not be thanked by him or his neighbours if you shoot the white 14 pointed Roe buck that was the favourite of the old lairds mother in law - you get the point.

Such an agreement may seem to be a pain, but doesn't take long to write and confirms the relationship. It also makes it clear whether or not the so called land owner has the rights over that piece of ground.

If you have an open condition on your FAC then no issues, but if restricted, make sure that either the ground is already cleared, or you arrange for it to be cleared for your use. Only do the latter with the permission of the landowner.

Then in before you go out stalking, inform the landowner that you are going out. Don't obviously do this at 3am, do so the night before.

Keep to shooting deer that are in season - hit them hard and they soon get the message. If you need to shoot out of season deer, check the deer act very carefully as it is slightly different north and south of the border.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 25-11-2013 at 12:10.

Quote Originally Posted by lyon View Post
    Hi All got a wee question whats the crack with shooting marauding deer on low ground fields mainly do i need to notify any one have permission off land owner. Before use to just shoot them, now some one is telling me i will get in to trouble about shooting them. Will p*****g some people off who were trying to get the shooting before me.
    Thanks lyon
    the law changed last year for shooting marauding deer out of season. Bucks and stags out of season fall under a general licence and females out of season specific licence, to shoot females out of season you need to speak with SNH, the land owner occupier will have to prove it is necessary. Bucks out of season you just need to fit the criteria which I can't remember but if you call yourself a servant of the owner you'll be grand. Sure someone on here can produce a link to the legislation...