Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airgun Advice

Airgun Advice

Hi

I know its not a firearm, ( not looking for a FAC one ) but looking for a bit of advice as to which model of air rifle you would suggest for my nephews to use with me on the farm. Ideally a under lever type ( not pre charged). This will be a tool that may get some serious use, but may also get knocked etc, so like eveyone wants, something easy on the wallet but built well!
    Thanks

Hw77
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

The problem is that air rifles have rocketed in price for good one. Cheap now mean Chinese and the quality is ................................. shall we say very variable .

Weihrauch 77 is very good but not cheap.

Thanks for the 3 fast responses!
    Must add, it will be a mainstream make just not a high end one.
    thanks again

I had a weihrach hw35e 25 years ago. Excellent rifle back in the day, this thread got me wondering are they still rated (for what they are) or are modern break barrels miles better? It is kicking round my dads house with I think a tasco 1.75 - 6 x 36 on it must pay a visit and liberate it

How old is your nephew?

How strong is he, an HW77 or 97 (both underlevers) are pretty meaty and take some lugging about,'especially for a youngster.

Why not consider a break barrel, that would give you far more options and they tend to be a bit lighter.

I've got a fair number of air rifles in both PCP and spring guise, the two springers I have that are worthy of an outing to the farm are either the HW97k, which I have already said I feel is way to heavy for a youngster or an SMK XS19. The SMK is Chinese but don't let that put you off, yes out of the box they are a bit hit or miss as to the quality but they are easy to work on and to 'tune' that is to iron out the kinks and smooth out the action.

Honestly the SMK range take some beating, if you must have an HW then the HW95 would be the only one I'd consider for a youngster.

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman7 View Post
    I had a weihrach hw35e 25 years ago. Excellent rifle back in the day, this thread got me wondering are they still rated (for what they are) or are modern break barrels miles better? It is kicking round my dads house with I think a tasco 1.75 - 6 x 36 on it must pay a visit and liberate it
    Definately worth digging it out and having a tinker and a tidy up with it, still worthy little air rifles in their own right IMHO

The AA TX is also a bit weighty for a youngster IMHO.

The HW35 in good condition will produce power right up the the legal limit with the right pellets. I doubt many today are of better quality of manufacture..................................... but they are not light and of course are unfashionable having long barrels everything must have a chopped down barrel it seems today even springers .

In unmolested condition it's also quite valuable now. I was quite shocked at the prices these fetch.