Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RTA call out, is your constabulary taking part?

RTA call out, is your constabulary taking part?

The BDS is running RTA call out courses up and down the country so it would seem,

don't get me wrong I think its a good idea for those who have not done it and may wont to get involved,

From what I know from my part of the world, Hampshire, Wiltshire, constabulary's have teams of experienced stalkers who have open tickets and there own insurance + cover from the police insurance who there call on to dispatch animals that are involved in accidents.

My question to all those people doing this RTA course outside those constabulary's who have a scheme is, is your constabulary going to start a scheme? do there own people do it at present? or don't they care?

humberside has decided not to partake in the scheme although one of the officers has been trying hard to get it up and running only for the head not to want to go through with it, Although i have been called out before now, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    humberside has decided not to partake in the scheme although one of the officers has been trying hard to get it up and running only for the head not to want to go through with it, Although i have been called out before now, atb wayne
    I think there may come a time in the not too distant future when the Police handle these things themselves. Whilst some forces have embraced the concept of 'stalkers dealing with RTA's, there are others who have not - and probably never will.

There are some concerns that if the Police call somebody out then the responsibility if something goes wrong lies with the Police. Are they prepared to take that risk??? ... In the longer term I think not. I reckon that deer RTA's involving the police will eventually be dealt with by the police. After all, each force has its own firearms teams who already deal with Cattle and Horses that need to be shot at a roadside. So why not deer????

I dare say that, some forces have already sussed out that many (not all) people who attend these RTA courses, do so in the hope of being able to get a pistol/handgun on their FAC's for the purpose. My prediction is that when the Police/Home Office see a steady increase in the number of applications for pistols/handguns, there will be some questions asked as to why the Police ARV's can't deal with deer at RTA's.

I'm interested in what others feel.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
    Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services

Wayne, Humberside do work with the Lincs deer group in north lincs. I expect the reason they don't call out stalkers on the north bank is the lack of any organising body to coordinate it etc.
    As for Mikes point about using ARVs instead, I am not sure how many ARVs each force would typically have but if the area has a well-run, coordinated and subscribed scheme (like we have in Lincolnshire) I think in most cases a trained stalker can attend an RTA in a rural area quicker than an ARV(which let’s face it has more important things to be ready to react to than a deer collision and should probably spending the majority of its time in the more densely populated areas ready to sort out the bad guys or shoot a pit-bull!).
    I agree with Mikes point about people using it as a reason to try and get a pistol could be seen as a negative for the police and lead to them being reluctant to support such initiatives. Cannot really see why you need one for RTA’s anyway.

Bart i understand that humberside do use lincs but trying to get something set up this side robin is not doing it, just in my area alone in a few weeks were over 10 RTA incidents that i know of. costs for ARV'S to attend are huge for each man that will soon eat away the budgets.
    Mike I agree that some want pistols and see this as a way to gain but if you are not dealing with them then it isn't a good reason
    Bart how would one set up something in this area as surely you dont come this side for RTA, ps I contacted lincs group but never got any info back from them,atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Hi Wayne
    No your right LDG don't respond over your side of the humber that I know of and from my experience all the collisions i have responded to have been very local to me in north lincs (certainly got there quicker than an ARV from Hull, s****horpe or wherever could have done). I think from a welfare point of view schemes like this are fantastic and more areas could do with them. I cannot see ARV spending much time or having the right experience/inclination to find deer that are not obligingly laid at the side of the road (2 and half hours the other night!)
    As for setting one up I would not have a clue were you start as I am just a responder. I think the fact that this is just one facet of what the LDG do in the county gives it more credibility with the authorities than a well-meaning individual/group of stalkers offering their services would have. I am surprised that you heard nothing back from the LDG as I have always had quick responses from them, so maybe give then another try for some advice. There was a couple of guys from up your neck of the woods on the LDG rtc course earlier on in the year. Good luck with what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the responce i will try again and see where i get ,I know the two lads that came over to do the course on your side, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook

Thanks for the responce i will try again and see where i get ,I know the two lads that came over to do the course on your side, atb wayne
    ME !!!!!!!! Lol

I dare say that, some forces have already sussed out that many (not all) people who attend these RTA courses, do so in the hope of being able to get a pistol/handgun on their FAC's for the purpose. My prediction is that when the Police/Home Office see a steady increase in the number of applications for pistols/handguns, there will be some questions asked as to why the Police ARV's can't deal with deer at RTA's.

I'm interested in what others feel.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Allison
    Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services
    [/QUOTE]
    cos they dont know what to do when they get there
    when you stop learning you stop being challenged

One thing I do know is that if Chris Howard is involved in taking the course, he will tell you that a hand gun is the last firearm you will need for the job.
    so all thouse taking the course in the hope that they will get a hand gun think again, there there only a few cases where a hand gun is appropriate for dispatch.