RTA call out, is your constabulary taking part?

I hope North Yorkshire don't set up a scheme as I quite like billing the police for being called out to deal with these cases.

In rural areas I'd have thought vets were the obvious choice as they are armed and already on call, sober and readily mobilisable! They are also professionally accountable for their actions and insured.

(I appreciate some don't have access to firearms).

In these austeric times of cutbacks you would have thought the Police would be only too keen to let others volunteer for the job rather than have the expense of using an ARV.
Re hand guns, as far as I'm aware if you manage deer full/part time you could argue a case for having one conditioned for humane dispatch without having to go on any course.
I'm not demeaning any course, as with any skills in life a little training can only be helpful, I'm just saying it's not a requirement to ask for a handgun. If you did get one it is of course completely illegal to use it for any other purpose and I imagine ammunition for it would be heavily restricted. You could imagine plod saying "well Mr Brown, what's the maximum number of deer per year you think you might need to dispatch?" "Errr maybe 20" says Mr Brown. "well you can have 21 just in case you miss"
I think that last glass of Jura did the trick. I'm off to bed.

Tony you make a good point about using a pistol for dispatch, I was called out for the first time a cool weeks ago, I took a shotgun, it was 2000 muntjac with a broken back, his front half was very mobile, I wouldn't have fancied using a pistol and the PM was surprisedh quickly I got there.

Thank you gentlemen for a very interesting read;)
This thread has given me q good insight as i have been thinking about attending such a course - not interested in a hand gun myself!!!
I am not only quite a active deer stalker / i have worked with the local government as a road worker for 27 years and part of those duties is being on call after hours .
Part of those duties is dealing with RTCs involving deer!!!
My personal opinion is / if the person has the necessary insurance in place to go about such a duty and are trained or experienced - there is no reason for them ( with the police officers - land owners consent ) to carry it out!!
Now here is another key thing - first response!! to end the suffering of the animal as soon as possible , whether its the stalker / armed response or the Vet!!
I have seen the increase in Cornwall with RTCs involving deer grow in the last 3 years and for a Vet or a Police armed response team could take quite a while to get on site - having a insured /trained / experienced stalker nearby is a valuable asset to have , for those that are willing to give up their time to deal with such matters!!
Doing the course to just get a pistol seems foolhardy , doing the course to do your best to stop any unnecessary suffering to animals is the right way to think if you are prepared to do such a duty!!
I think we must be careful in our thoughts with this ( including police thoughts ) to those that carry this duty out - they are not paid and do it to stop any suffering to the animal as quick as humanely possible!!
And if these people stood back and said get on with it to the Police - with the Police"s money / time constraints , i can see alot more suffering when animals are involved with RTCs...
Thanks for reading ...

I can only see this as being a good thing going out to help suffering and to sort things out and for all this talk of getting a handgun you have no chance, you need good reason to posess and if you are not doing things that warrant a handgun call outs alone won't help, I really don't see why this keeps cropping up but i will say again call outs on deer won't get you a handgun,its another tool in the box for certain situations but it would not be my first choice but in certain instances they are good but everything depends on the situation,atb wayne

I seem to recall there was ACPO guidance on this matter issued some years ago, in order that those police authorities who use volunteers under these schemes employed the same criteria in selection and working practices. Interestingly the volunteer would be required to sign a simple Provision of Services contract, and should they be deemed an acceptable candidate sign a declaration that they were already in possession of all of the necessary equipment (including firearms) to undertake the role required. The guidance also suggested that, for those Police Authorities participating, the scheme be overseen by the Firearms Licensing Departments which, in some areas was strongly resisted, as many mangers believed that, apart from varying the conditions on the volunteers FAC, administration of any such call out scheme was purely an operational policing responsibility.

There people paid to go and dispatch wounded deer (Vet,s ) etc why take there job of work away because you think you know best.

There people paid to go and dispatch wounded deer (Vet,s ) etc why take there job of work away because you think you know best.
I think you have missed the point slightly , surely the quicker the end of suffering - the better from whoever is qualified whether stalker / vet or police / and as mentioned that they have the relevant training / insurance / experience!!
May i ask who pays them then???
As in vet / its a wild animal so whos responsibility is it to fit the bill / especially if you call a vet at 2 in the morning to dispatch a deer!!
Does the local government highways authority pay / the Police pay / the car owners insurance pay????
Thoughts please??

Last edited:
may i ask who pays them then???

Legally the person who requests the service is liable for the bill. If a member of the public rings I suggest they call either the police or RSPCA for authorisation, but I will attend anyway.

I have been paid many times by both the police and the RSPCA for euthanasia of deer at the roadside.

It would seem that everybody has a different take on what should be done and weather they should get paid, it also depends on where you live and if your constabulary has a scheme going.
when I started doing it for Hampshire it was and still is a free service done for nothing, the only motivation is we are all passionate about deer and just won't to give something back, back in the day I did have a hand gun but give it up after the Hungerford thing, but to be honest I never have or feel I would have had a use for one, shotgun mostly,
i also am called out by the RSPCA and they always ask what my fees are, am I wrong to not charge for this service?
most people just won't to give a little back and not see it as a cash cow for milking.

i also am called out by the RSPCA and they always ask what my fees are, am I wrong to not charge for this service?
most people just won't to give a little back and not see it as a cash cow for milking.

If you don't value your time or it gives you a nice warm feeling inside, and that is your reward, then good for you.

The simple fact is if people didn't turn out for free then the police would not just leave the deer, they'd have to either get their firearms guys our or call a vet or similar to come out and do the deed. I'm sure the police are quite happy you doing it for free. They have a history of using 'specials' who volunteer to do other parts of their job too. If there weren't people willing to do that for free I bet you more money and paid police would be found.

I spend 1/3 of my life on call. You ring the business you pay. It keeps food on my table, but I wouldn't like to rely on this sort of work to make a living. If I came across a deer at the side of the road on my travels I'd just do what was required.

The number of vets out there with large animal skills is declining and I'm not sure another (abeit little) chip away at the work is ideal, but you guys carry on.

(I fail to see the attraction, and a handgun is low on my list of choices)

If you don't value your time or it gives you a nice warm feeling inside, and that is your reward, then good for you.

The simple fact is if people didn't turn out for free then the police would not just leave the deer, they'd have to either get their firearms guys our or call a vet or similar to come out and do the deed. I'm sure the police are quite happy you doing it for free. They have a history of using 'specials' who volunteer to do other parts of their job too. If there weren't people willing to do that for free I bet you more money and paid police would be found.

I spend 1/3 of my life on call. You ring the business you pay. It keeps food on my table, but I wouldn't like to rely on this sort of work to make a living. If I came across a deer at the side of the road on my travels I'd just do what was required.

The number of vets out there with large animal skills is declining and I'm not sure another (abeit little) chip away at the work is ideal, but you guys carry on.

(I fail to see the attraction, and a handgun is low on my list of choices)
Fair enough Apache,
thats your take on it and that's fine, you make a third of your living on distpaching wild animals and I understand that's what you do.
i get paid for being a keeper so don't need to charge for helping out and ending suffering, it does not give me a warm feeling and that comment is a poor snipe at something many of us do because we just won't to give a little back.

Lancashire has scrapped the 'humane dispatch' civilian scheme. It is all done by armed police with shotguns trained for this. The information is from the horse's mouth...

After coming across a RTA roebuck last year I rang Cumbria Police and asked if they wanted me to deal with the situation and I was told it would be very helpful as there had been a major (INCIDENT) and all officers were tied up.
I dealt with the deer and even removed the carcase, the next day after giving it some thought I contacted Cumbria Police HQ and offered my services if they had a deer RTA register and was told their policy was- We only use our own trained firearms officers to deal with these situations- and no register was in place. So it seems YOU can deal with RTA's when all the firearms officers are busy ??? so why not have a register and call you if necessary.
Brian

Legally the person who requests the service is liable for the bill. If a member of the public rings I suggest they call either the police or RSPCA for authorisation, but I will attend anyway.

I have been paid many times by both the police and the RSPCA for euthanasia of deer at the roadside.

I understand by this that you offer this service as your business which is fair enough!!!
May i ask what you do with the deer after its been dispatched on the highway??
The reason i ask is , i understand that deer that is on private ground / the land owner or a person appointed by them are lawfully able to shoot them ( obviously seasons - legal calibers - licence to do so applies ) , so the deer then becomes their property to do so as they wish.
So when the Police / RSPCA ask you to to dispatch a deer on the highway - once done the deer then becomes the property of the local Council Highways authority and they are normally required to remove and dispose of the carcase!!
Please dont think i am being awkward , i just want to know the facts and legalities in such a matter!!
Just another point , the Police do not own the highway but enforce its laws - but the Local Council highways authority does !!
And yes you can say we all do own it too as we pay our taxes to maintain the highways!!:D
All the very best...

Last edited:
Leave the carcase for highways. The police will notify them. If I shoot the deer for the RSPCA I will ring highways.

correct, normally on the major A roads and M ways the highways are there waiting to remove the carcass.

I got a phone call from north Yorks police control room today to ask if I was interested in a dead deer in York it had been hit by a car !
I told the person to ring highways and tell them as it was theirs to dispose of and not fit for the food chain he sounded surprised and said but people eat road kill I've seen in on telly:eek:

Leave the carcase for highways. The police will notify them. If I shoot the deer for the RSPCA I will ring highways.
Thank you for your reply - most appreciated!!;)
The reason i know a bit about this , is because i am involved with such a task!!;)
All the very best...

Last edited:
Gloucestershire was the first and I think only at present county where this is happening. This has been in operation for the last 15 or so years. There are some 20 stalkers including Forestry staff on the scheme.
Only a very small number have access to pistols. I use a captive bolt and pithing as my method as most deer are able to be approached. I have in the past used a 12g but this made a mess. Now the law has changed nobody should need a pistol as 22R/F is adequate at close range. A 410 is a good weapon and will kill any deer at close range.
I have never had to use a rifle at distance yet but carry my 243 in case.
The Glos Police have made this work a grade 1 issue so that there is always Police attendance when we arrive.
Contact me if you wish to discuss further.

Back