Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Any spare 308 rounds chaps??? Hampshire

  1. #1

    Any spare 308 rounds chaps??? Hampshire

    Hello chaps

    a bit cheeky but does anyone have any spare 308 rounds/ home loads lying around from trying different makes that I may be able to have? Trying to see what my rifle likes. Just 3 or 4 of different wights/powders/manufacturers?? Anything gratefully received and of course collected in person

    thanks in advance

    Rob
    243Sako

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    Hello chaps

    a bit cheeky but does anyone have any spare 308 rounds/ home loads lying around from trying different makes that I may be able to have? Trying to see what my rifle likes. Just 3 or 4 of different wights/powders/manufacturers?? Anything gratefully received and of course collected in person

    thanks in advance

    Rob
    243Sako
    not quite what you are asking Rob, but my Howa 1500 will perform well with 150grn sierra prohunters and N140 or TR140 powder, the holes will touch at 100m as long as I do my bit, about 30 for 100 and 1Kg of either powder will give you around 150-160 loads
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

  3. #3
    Rob if I understand you right you are proposing to shoot other shooters reloads in your rifle? This is something you could live to regret or then again you may not live to regret it as this could be potentially quite dangerous. Personally I won't shoot any body else's reloads in my rifles even if I know and trust them.

    I think it would be much safer for you to develop and work up your own loads starting with data from a recognised published source such as that provided by the powder manufacturers. Just my opinion but I do urge caution.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  4. #4
    One wonder just how those willing to donate will do so. Just pop them in the Post?

    Then I suppose your going to post you FAC to them to have them entered into the ammunition table.


    methinks there has been NO thought to this at all!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    One wonder just how those willing to donate will do so. Just pop them in the Post?

    Then I suppose your going to post you FAC to them to have them entered into the ammunition table.


    methinks there has been NO thought to this at all!
    I won't comment on the obviousness of the inherent danger to rifle and shooter by this request, but if you bother to read what he wrote you will see that he says he will collect in person. I don't see that being a problem, do you?

    ATB

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by achosenman View Post
    I won't comment on the obviousness of the inherent danger to rifle and shooter by this request, but if you bother to read what he wrote you will see that he says he will collect in person. I don't see that being a problem, do you?

    ATB
    Collection in person should not be a problem legally. One is assuming now that there is space left on the FAC to make the entries. We know just how little space is given for that now don't we!

    I still don't think that much thought has gone into this request though. The price of fuel will quickly negate savings on buying ammunition. As for using others hand loads we won't go there .

    Now a radical thought here there are ranges, commercial ones who sell just the rounds used in testing and this fact was even mentioned in a post very recently................................... but hey why spoil the fun!

  7. #7
    All this should be moot really, since firing any hand load not worked up in a OP rifle is nothing more than Russian roulette

    ATB

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Now a radical thought here there are ranges, commercial ones who sell just the rounds used in testing and this fact was even mentioned in a post very recently................................... but hey why spoil the fun!
    i think I missed that thread, is it possible to put a link to it on here as I'd be interested to find out about that (tried the search button and can't find it)?

  9. #9
    Not a stupid idea, given a) the cost of ammo and b) how fussy some rifles can be. I would nt shoot somebody else's handloads, but as for factory loaded cannot see any issue. You don't need to shoot a box full of ammo to know that your rifle doesn't like it

    Now for some enterprising RFD here lies an opportunity. Split a few boxes of ammo into trial packs (say five rounds of each brand in a certain bullet weight) and sell these with any rifle they sell.

    or for that matter ask your local RFD. Whenever they take in a rifle they will often take in partial boxes of ammo.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    i think I missed that thread, is it possible to put a link to it on here as I'd be interested to find out about that (tried the search button and can't find it)?

    I have been looking but cannot locate it. It was probably an answer in a thread which makes it hard to find. Perhaps we should ask the question where is this available?

    Have not been over the club in the last week what with Mother being ill but hopefully wil get over there later in the week and I will ask if he could do this after all the outdoor range is now open and the club has a shop that sell ammunition.

Similar Threads

  1. .308 Factory Rounds
    By neutron619 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 25-02-2014, 14:23
  2. 308 rounds to suit Browning Xbolt
    By roedeerred in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 20:42
  3. 30 inch .308 barrel and 215 grain rounds
    By Conor1 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-03-2011, 09:16
  4. Hampshire, gun shops, 308
    By barry thom in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 21:57
  5. Roe stalking- bullet weights for factory loaded .308 rounds?
    By farmer_js in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 22:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •