Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Another Doe Down!

  1. #1

    Another Doe Down!

    The Tikka T3 .308 barked and took down this big gal. I'm really liking the Hornady American Whitetail ammo. Not sure if its available in the UK but I'm very impressed with the exit hole showing in this pic.


  2. #2
    Well done, lovely clean animal.
    I have not come across Whitetail ammo here yet. Is it soft point or plastic tipped?
    Friends of mine just left to hunt Whitetail in West Virginia.

    In our books the exit would be slightly back, was the animal quartering when you shot it?

    edi

  3. #3
    a bit of a gut shot there..but we have all done it..i shot a doe and she stepped at the pull of the trigger....finished her when i found her about 3 m away from the shot...

  4. #4
    Entrance was just behind the shoulder but she was slightly quartering to me. Exit missed the paunch and took out back of lungs. She didn't smell bad when I gutted her. Any further back and it would have been a gut shot. She only went 30 yards from the hit.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    Entrance was just behind the shoulder but she was slightly quartering to me. Exit missed the paunch and took out back of lungs. She didn't smell bad when I gutted her. Any further back and it would have been a gut shot. She only went 30 yards from the hit.
    That's about 30 yards farther than she'da went had you used the high shoulder shot... Nice deer tho... I sure miss them white flags bouncing away when you spook them....

  6. #6
    see the experts are out again

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    see the experts are out again
    Just bein lazy..... Shoulder shot drops em in their tracks and has usually no internal bleeding and you get to eat the heart, liver, and kidneys after a clean field dressing.... I had a shoulder shot a couple weeks ago that glanced and took out the good stuff and exited about in the same spot as UTGRAD's did. Still dropped in it's tracks, but made a mess....

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Just bein lazy..... Shoulder shot drops em in their tracks and has usually no internal bleeding and you get to eat the heart, liver, and kidneys after a clean field dressing.... I had a shoulder shot a couple weeks ago that glanced and took out the good stuff and exited about in the same spot as UTGRAD's did. Still dropped in it's tracks, but made a mess....
    Try Barnes TSXs, less mess generally.

  9. #9
    Well done, great result!

    Quote Originally Posted by exmarksman9870 View Post
    a bit of a gut shot there..but we have all done it..
    Pictures can be misleading, especially when the front shoulders are so mobile. I reckon that's still forward of the diaphragm.

    In fact it's almost a reverse of the shot I took on a sika stag last month. Quartering away, I put the bullet in just forward of the liver/diaphragm on the near side, bullet exiting (well it didn't actually exit) behind the opposite shoulder. Heart and lungs gone on the way through. The entry wound would have been about as far back as above but a couple of inches higher, gut contents entirely intact.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Well done, great result!



    Pictures can be misleading, especially when the front shoulders are so mobile. I reckon that's still forward of the diaphragm.

    In fact it's almost a reverse of the shot I took on a sika stag last month. Quartering away, I put the bullet in just forward of the liver/diaphragm on the near side, bullet exiting (well it didn't actually exit) behind the opposite shoulder. Heart and lungs gone on the way through. The entry wound would have been about as far back as above but a couple of inches higher, gut contents entirely intact.
    Roger... out.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Doe's
    By jackfish in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-11-2013, 18:17
  2. Doe Down!!
    By UTGrad in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 17:59
  3. doe season
    By taln in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-10-2011, 06:55
  4. Very Protective Doe
    By Von in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-07-2011, 17:58
  5. Roe Doe
    By JAYB in forum Photos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 13:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •