Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed load with N160 and 95gr sst in 243

help needed load with N160 and 95gr sst in 243

cannot find load range anywhere. anyone got any pet loads and safe range of loads please.

BE

Currently using Nosler 95g Ballistic tip with 43g of N160 in my .243 Sako. It is similar to your round but be care full. Starting with low loads can also cause problems.

Cheers is your load towards the top end?

No it is medium and shoots spot on 1" high from 50M out to 150M. Hope this helps.

Disclaimer: the information below relates to MY rifle and may not be safe in yours; work up to this load and follow advice in standard reloading manual for safety.

I have been using the Hornady 95gr SST with N160 in my Tikka T3. I started at 42.5gr and worked up to 45.4 (eventually.) The latter was exhibiting early pressure signs but nothing drastic (October temps, bullet seated with 3.5thou jump)

I repeated various loads within that range and at various jumps (no jamming, of course.)

Final load: 44gr N160 seated to "touch the lands" (which equates "base-to-ogive" length of 57.57mm in my chamber, using the Stoney Point comparator.) 5 shots routinely group into 0.75" which is good in this gun (strangely my .243 Tikka has always been the hardest to load for.)

This load is much faster than I expected, given that it seems not to be overpressure in my rifle. Exact speed is unknown as it started tipping it down before I chrono'd it. But before the rain started, 42.5gr gave av. 3112fps and 42.8gr gave 3140fps. I am guessing 44gr will be humming along at over 3200fps.

So far I have found this round performed well on deer (fallow) and opportunistic foxes, however, it's early days yet. I neck shot a fallow buck at 46yds off sticks and although there was some fragmentation on impact with spine, enough held together to exit.

Exit side, jacket fragment near tip of blade, exit wound in reflected skin below:

This wasn't the case when I performed a similar shot/range using 100gr Speer BTSP (deer just as dead, though!)

My previous standard .243 deer load was Sierra Prohunter 100gr at 3020fps. Nothing wrong with it but I like the SST in .308 and thought I'd give it a try in .243Win.
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 25-11-2013 at 21:12.

Established Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    cannot find load range anywhere. anyone got any pet loads and safe range of loads please.

BE
    In .243 the 95 grain SST / N160 combination used to be quoted in the Vihtavouri loading tables. The maximum load quoted was 45.4 grains. 43.0 grains of N160 worked very well in my 22" barrelled T3 with a muzzle velocity of 3,060 fps.

Thanks guys have loaded a ladder from 41-45gr. Will let you know what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierdoc View Post
    I have been using the Hornady 95gr SST with N160 in my Tikka T3.
    I neck shot a fallow buck at 46yds off sticks
    and although there was some fragmentation on impact with spine, enough held together to exit.

Exit side, jacket fragment near tip of blade, exit wound in reflected skin below:

Observation on the bullet and terminal effects rather than criticism of its use (in case this is misconstrued)...

..but that looks awfully messy and the fragmented jacket would alarm me in a supposed "Interlocked" hunting bullet.
    The fact that you comment it has held together and exited as a good thing implies that some don't. Is that the case?
    Especially considering the range. (at 46yds ANY game bullet should exit)

I am afraid its pics like this that confirm my disinterest in using SST's on deer.
    I use AMax on foxes and it makes less mess

I am sorry and don't want to offend but that is an awful mess that your SST is making. I would hate to think of the carcass damage if you were to take a H&L shot. What is wrong with a basic soft point, at least they will hold together a bit better?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Observation on the bullet and terminal effects rather than criticism of its use (in case this is misconstrued)...

..but that looks awfully messy and the fragmented jacket would alarm me in a supposed "Interlocked" hunting bullet.
    The fact that you comment it has held together and exited as a good thing implies that some don't. Is that the case?
    Especially considering the range. (at 46yds ANY game bullet should exit)

I am afraid its pics like this that confirm my disinterest in using SST's on deer.
    I use AMax on foxes and it makes less mess
    Just to be clear, I'm no expert and don't want to seem to be lecturing fellow stalkers (don't want to be misconstrued either!)

High velocity/close range can be a challenge for expanding bullets; even to the extent that under-penetration occurs. Whereas at longer range the bullet is less likely to fragment, paradoxically increasing penetration (perhaps less so in .243 than more powerful cartridges.) I'm not talking about highly frangible constructions like Barnes Varmint Grenade or V-max, but uncontrolled expansion of bullets designed for deer-sized game can occur at high impact velocities such as at close range.

The pic above shows the worst of the wound channel, which was about 1-1.5" diameter, after I have removed some overlying muscle. The area of damaged meat was quite localised. The pic below shows the same area before dissection to show the permanent wound cavity. Remember, this is a neck, not a thorax, so it's hardly a massive area of damage:

My point is that even at close-range/high-velocity the bullet has expanded in a controlled manner, retaining enough mass to make a clean exit wound after hitting the spine (much more substantial than rib). It's possible that the interlocked section remained fully jacketed and intact, we'll never know. The fragmentation was not excessive, not a case of "bullet blow-up".

Recovered fragments:

My previous experience with Speer 100gr BTSP at similar range did not not exit (and that was a high cervical impact.) Of course, no two shots are identical so one must be wary of definitive statements based on limited data. It may well be that further use puts me off the SST in .243.

After the Speer, I switched to Sierra Gameking and subsequently Prohunter. The former tended to exhibit jacket/core separation, the latter were fine (though the meplats tend to get deformed in the mag by recoil.)

Happily, most bullets are going to get the job done most of the time, if put in the right place. But having had a heart-shot fallow buck stroll toward me with no sign of a hit, I am aware that "most of the time" is not "every time". Since the .243 is at the lowest end of the UK deer-legal calibre spectrum, I am happy to experiment to get the best out of it.

My deer stalking is only in double-figures per year so I am guided by the opinions of those who shoot triple-figures or have a lifetime of experience behind them. Not many people document terminal ballistics in detail: Terminal Ballistics Research is an interesting repository of observations of the performance of different bullets on game. The .243 is not the site authors favourite calibre but the 95gr SST is, in his opinion, the best of a bad bunch.

If things don't continue to go well with the SST, I'll switch back to the 100gr Prohunter.

Hopefully, by sharing our experiences (on forums, in the pub, etc.) we can peel back hype and hyperbole and make informed decisions based on in-field results. It's good to share!