The gun that aims itself

Bit scary actually, summarised well by the end quote "We have committed oursleves to the Promethean fire - this is a world in which we live, this a world which we have created". I think the whole "we are breaking down barriers to entry for new shooters" is B.S. - it's about military contracts. I would in fact feel better about it if it was kept for military use only. I think those pigs would too...

I have now watched the full video. From a technology point of view it's fascinating, but from an ethical, hunting, sports point of view it is deeply disturbing. It is absolutely and unashamedly bringing the play station, iPhone shooting game together with a high powered rifle, and frankly that has nothing to do with stalking.

What do we expect from the Call of duty generation, military spec items downsized for the individual, utilizing high end technology and computer assisted lazers is the norm, but it is not about hunting or stalking anything but the enemy, its only the marketing men that see the other angles and make it available, if you have the cash its yours, just like everything else. We fall for it everytime...sh#t we don't need.

It's progress! like it or not, it's here. (Well over there anyway). I too have feelings that it may take a lot of the skill out of firing rifles.

But remember there was a time when stalkers that used scopes instead of iron sites were branded as cheats.

Looking at the way they were shooting (not stalking) don't think they were too concerned with animal welfare. Also it won't do much good in a woodland environment where the ranges are a lot shorter

Ed

Last edited:
Well you had better start wringing your hands then guys!
It has been around now for the better part of a year! $30k usd. Bargian!,,
For the professional deer controllers it will be a must have system when they down grade the calibers.
How long before the FC insist on it?
Just think you could turn up to a park cull and sit 900 yards the other side of the park and cull the deer.
Oh no it's not stalking! Think that's going to make a difference to anyone who will buy it.
How are the pros going to respond when a client turns up with one?
"Er sorry no its not stalking, have your £150-200 back"
probebly not!

Last edited:
It's progress! like it or not, it's here. (Well over there anyway). I too have feelings that it may take a lot of the skill out of firing rifles.

But remember there was a time when stalkers that used scopes instead of iron sites were branded as cheats.

+1

Bearing in mind that some of what's demonstrated appears extreme largely because the system is used on an extreme long range rifle. Then the technology is just a giant leap forward from where we are now in terms of laser range finders, laser range finding scopes, wind measurement systems and pda or tablet mounted apps to draw together the different components.

So, do I use a laser rangefinder? Well sometimes.
Do I use a wind meter? Ditto.
Do I input the data from both into an app on my phone? Why wouldn't I?
Wouldn't I like to have a device which eliminated the need for me to input the data into the scope/rifle/shooter combination? And there's the rub of it. Frankly, I'd rather continuing to develop whatever skill level I have.

Or to put it another way, if you were to take 6 of these identical systems and place them on the firing point of a rifle range what would prevent all six from achieving the same scores?

Hmm

fine for the person with $$$$ to spare for high end kit

Does not replace any skills embed after years of practice in the field.

Also with a laser thats firing 54 x / second while target is acquired, this will make it very visible to the counter sniper with correct kit in a military application….

Back