Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very nasty computer virus going round at the moment

Very nasty computer virus going round at the moment

Not anything deery but i'd hate anyone to get nailed by this

I've been sent a series of very convincing emails from amazom, dhl and barclays all asking to open a zipped file. If you have the file extensions showing you can see its actually an exe attachment.

Apparently if opened it encrypts all your data permanently unless you pay a huge ransom.

i was round my computer guys earlier on with literally a succession of people ringing who had fallen victim to this scam which has apparently so far netted its creator in excess £1billion.

Bin anything with a zipped attachment.
    Change your passwords regularly.

John

its called Crypto blocker

also watch out for emails from Companies House

ransom is around $300 in bitcoins

all good and untraceable until he tries to bank it.
    bet you he is the world's most watched bitcoin account waiting for it to happen

Sounds nasty, but glad it's just an exe. file though.
    Thought it might be something my Mac could get for a while there

Neil.

It's very simple... If you don't trust it, don't open it.

I always Google unusual email addresses, and more often than not they have registered somewhere as spam already

No affiliation, but Latest Email Hoaxes - Current Internet Scams - Hoax-Slayer is always a good starting point
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Big thank you to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Sounds nasty, but glad it's just an exe. file though.
    Thought it might be something my Mac could get for a while there

Neil.

AFAIK its an application embedded in a PDF
    it is also Network enabled so can come in on a zip drive, as soon as your PC reads the drive....game over
    if you are on a network it automatically infects connected devices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker

Oh Yes a Much Bigger thank you to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    AFAIK its an application embedded in a PDF
    it is also Network enabled so can come in on a zip drive, as soon as your PC reads the drive....game over
    if you are on a network it automatically infects connected devices

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker
    Not quite.... it does rely a bit more on user 'cooperation', or (as Miranda would say ) 'what I like to call'... stupidity.

• It isn't embedded in a PDF which runs itself... it is usually a .zip file containing an executable file cunningly labelled something like "Your DHL Tracking No.pdf.exe".
    • It can't 'come in on a zip drive'..... silly people can copy it onto a zip drive and then give that drive to someone else who can then open it
    • It can't spread across the network infecting devices.... but if you have network drives mapped (like in work you may have network drives H:\, J:\ etc) then it will have a go at screwing them up the same as it would any other drives on your PC (C:\, D:\ etc)

So... when a user tells me something like:

"Oh, I just opened up Outlook and the next thing I know I had spent $2000 getting my data back" what they actually mean is...

"Oh, I got an email from someone I never heard of, in a country I've never been, about a parcel I wasn't expecting, and immediately double clicked the attachment to open the ZIP file... then without looking or giving it any thought I double clicked the executable file within.... then I said YES I am sure, and then when the PC said it needed administrator confirmation I said OK to that too... then it started installing stuff while I was wondering what was going to be in my free parcel/how much money I'd won/inherited etc and then my computer was screwed..... and now it's your problem"

<END RANT>