Thread: Muntjac and Meopta

Muntjac and Meopta

Last Thursday I spent another great day with Jason (Muntjacstalker) on his ground around Biggleswade.

Following a successful morning, the afternoon finally provided a group of two does and a buck feeding close to a woodland edge in fading light about 90 yards away. I took the nearest doe which promptly ran off and disappeared into the wood.
    This is only my third year of stalking, and so far I have been fortunate in avoiding having runners.

Once into the wood, Jason was able to spot tiny drops of blood on grass and twigs, sometimes with gaps of several yards (it was by now dark).

It took about 20 minutes to find the doe; dead, with decent heart/lung entry but a small exit wound, suggesting very slight blood loss (.308 Power Shok 150 gr).

The point of all this is discovering the degree of diligence in tracing the animal. I realise this may be common proceedure to many, but this was the first time I had seen it done, and I was most impressed.

My Meopta scope is a 3-9x42 Meopro fitted as a stop-gap about a year ago, but it does a fine job and at low light levels it seems to me to have a slight edge over my Duralyt.
    It was certainly up to the job that evening, and I was even more impressed when, on returning to the vehicle, I realised I had forgotten to remove the lens covers....

They are a very underrated scope. And well done as well.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Well done Terrier, do those lens caps work on Fallow as well

Take care mate and see you soon.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I use a 6 x 24 x 56 zeiss on 243 and i have just fitted the same in Meopta on my 308 as i couldn't see much difference in the glass quality limlulus has been going on about these scopes for the last 12 months and how good they are and to be honest the quality is perfect and 1000 cheaper

Good stalk and well found. I always expect a heart / lung shot to give a runner and work on that basis. Before squeezing the trigger make sure you have some good visual markers as to where the beast is standing. And also pick an identifying feature on the horizon directly behind so that you have a line to follow. Also mark where you are taking the shot from.

After the shot go straight to where you think the beast was standing using the point on the horizon as an aid to keeping you in line and mark this spot I put my poles into the ground. Then carefully look around for signs of hair and blood - usually it's pretty clear. You might have seen where the deer entered cover, but often not. Then from the point you find the first sign look for the next - hoof prints ( every two or three yards) blood, knocked grass etc, and only move until you find the next. It takes time, but if you work slowly and don't trample about you will find your deer - it might take an hour or two.

I have to say that Terrier is a delight to stalk with and a good man. And he makes me laugh and enjoys the day. Look forward to the next time
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.