Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wooden lean to double highseat plans

wooden lean to double highseat plans

Hi chaps

has anyone got any plans they could email me/pm me for a basic wooden double lean to highseat please ?????

ATB

Dave
    Last edited by 223; 25-11-2013 at 21:56.

Here you go mate

Here is some High Seat Plans from Shooting Times in 2004

I'd suggest notching out the uprights for the steps and wiring them too for safety,

Stratts
    Last edited by stratts; 26-11-2013 at 09:34.
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Lads

The ST seat uses threaded bar to support the rungs, so I respectfully suggest that notching the uprights and wiring them is using the wrong sort of belt and braces ! You can make a seat that will accomodate 2 people at a pinch if you use the full length of the 1 metre threaded bar. I'm still making them and a free standing X frame variant. If you want to open and read the ST instructions and pm me afterwards about the tweaking I did, feel free. The biggest problem making a full timber lean to seat is the relationship between the width of the ladder and the width of the seat, as the final upright part of the ladder really should be an integral part of the seat and rail.

Ion

PS couldnt work out how to send an attachment with a pm . Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong thanks .
    Last edited by ion; 26-11-2013 at 18:24.

The one from ST seems quite complicated. We used to make lean to high seats using spruce growing at the site. They would stand for 10y easily if striped off bark. So an axe, saw and a box of nails and 1hr work for two people. There is no reason why the ladder has to be same width as the seat so they would be narrow at the bottom and wider forming double seat at the top. No need for plans and every one would be different

Blimey some of those look like sentry towers at Auswitch!! Well made mind you!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Blimey some of those look like sentry towers at Auswitch!! Well made mind you!!
    Building free standing will take a bit longer, but I dont like them cant hear a thing inside and you end up going from window to window. I was referring to wooden lean to type in the vid.

cheers lads some good ideas there

With respect Glogin the ladder is effectively the same width as the seat when narrow at the bottom and wider at the top,unless there is a radical 'rake' from bottom to top. Or is there really a reason why I took maths o level 7 times ? Seriously though there is greater strength in the seat if you can incorporate the top of the uprights into the framework of the seat. The critical width is where 2 pairs of legs / knees go. It seems that the alternative is to make a comfortable width two man seat seperately and attach it to the top of a ladder, constructing both parts from timber in order to stay within the bounds of 223's post. As I belong to the school that maintains that you can't say you don't like it if you haven't tried it I shall have to go down to my local sawmill , who likes venison, and put together the pieces. In my experience the slowest part of seat construction is painting them. I suspect that it will come in at more weight than one man can handle, whereas I can manhandle and erect the ST seat on my own. The timber seats I made from tanalised timber when laid off during Foot and Mouth are still in use. I used locally sourced larch for posts for release pens and agree as to its suitability, but for some reason there was a 40 year plus gap in planting larch round me. There's some at felling stage, and some about ten years old.
    For what it's worth here are some pic's of one my recent ST seats. Unfortunately I've 'lost' the pic's of seats on site in wicklow.

Ion

All very nice. Mine were knocked together from whatever available at the site.