Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first FAC - a question.

first FAC - a question.

when you apply for a FAC, is it provisionally granted first and then you buy a gun cabinet and the flo inspects it and the FAC is sent to you so you can purchase you firearm, or do you get the cabinet first, get it inspected and then get the FAC granted. A small difference but a big cost difference if for some reason the FAC is refused. Also if you have to do a DSC 1 as a condition, is this also done pre or post grant. Again a budgeting and costing question.- I have no real problem with either way but would like to know the order of things as I cannot find any information on what order it is done so what to do to get it done in the right order to save time and money. Money means more to spend on stalking

Thanks in advance

Regards

Seibassman

That will depend a bit on the force and FEO. In my area they will not grant a certificate without the security already being in place and most forces are the same but there may well be exceptions. Having or achieving a DSC1 shouldn't come into it as the certificate is granted on the basis of having good reason which normally means land to shoot over even if it is paid stalking by the day, or in the case of target shooting membership of an approved club.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Thanks for the reply, but I really could not find a check list or timeline of what to do and just felt a little blind.

Thanks

Your FEO will arrange to call and interview you re your application. On completion of your interview he will inform you if he is going to forward it for approval or to be refused... If it is to be approved he will tell you to get a cabinet and install it in the position that you have both agreed on . He will call later prior to you receiving the certificate to ensure that the cabinet is up to standard and securely fitted.

Do not buy cabinet until you have been informed that FAC is being granted.

Re DSC1 some forces are informing applicants that a DSC1 is required before granting FAC..... at this time this is not compulsory and is being used as a threat that FAC will be refused. If this has been your experience contact your legal rep with SACS, BASC or with whom you are insured. They will take it onboard .THE POLICE CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO GET AWAY WITH THIS.

David

Excellent just what I needed to know. I dont expect any problems but my wife would not want me to install a cabinet have my fac refused and the cabinet become a wall ornament

Regards

seibassman

"Your FEO will arrange to call and interview you re your application. On completion of your interview he will inform you if he is going to forward it for approval or to be refused... If it is to be approved he will tell you to get a cabinet and install it in the position that you have both agreed on . He will call later prior to you receiving the certificate to ensure that the cabinet is up to standard and securely fitted."

Two separate visits, no wonder they want to increase the cost of a certificate. Hardly the best use of resources.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I disagree with the above. As long as you have a good reason, no criminal record, no history of mental illness, and don't live in an awful area then you will be granted a FAC.

It is simpler if you have a cabinet installed (get a big one). That way they can check security at interview.

If you want a deer calibre do your level one. It shows you are serious, gives the police confidence and you will learn a lot. If they made all stalkers do it, I don't see it as a bad thing.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Apache

good points. I am a generally careful person and like knowing the course of things before setting out so I have no suprises and I totally accept what you say.

Regards

Seibassman

Nottinghamshire constabulary advised taking the DSC1 but were happy to grant my FAC knowing that I had booked to take it, the FAC arrived ten days before I went on the course. As soon as my DSC certificate got to me I posted them a copy. I must add that it was something I wanted to do and enjoyed it but it did add a bit of extra expense to the application process.
    All the best, Martyn.

Thank guys, my question has been fully answered by the above replies. Great advice as always.

Cheers

Seibassman