Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Puncture ... why it is that it's always right on the edge

  1. #1

    Puncture ... why it is that it's always right on the edge

    O/S/F tyre has been going down. The chap I usually go to has been too busy so yesterday ended up at the tyre depot in town. Yep found it easily nail through the edge of the tread so not in a repairable place. Typical tyre has about 5mm left on it.

    Then the chap points out that it's worn on the inner edge.............................. very unhappy now as I had the Four wheel tracking done less than a year ago and we don't do that many miles. Seems I need to get it checked twice or three times a year due to the dreadful state of our roads.

    So it's new tyre time. After the experience of last winters snow and finding out just how awful these Goodrich G-Grips are in snow replacing both fronts is a no brainer. The G-grips were on the car when we bought it. The question was then do we buy a set of Winter tyres of just replace the front two. The rears have done about 7000 miles and are fine.

    So after a discussion with "the chancellor" a set of winter tyres it is. Never had winter tyres before so this should be interesting. Due to the prices we have to go fairly "Budget" a premium set as quite frankly around 600 for set fitted is beyond the pockets reach.

    300 is quite enough stretch thank you. It will interesting to see what the alignment check shows.

  2. #2
    I use a honest tyre guy and he said two of the biggest money earners are scrapping any punctures runflat tyre. He said runflats by design are more repairable than ordinary thin cased tyres.
    His other is turning unevenly worn tyres on the rim, once you can see the chamfering it will continue to wear out even if you turn it.

  3. #3
    I use General Grabber AT2's. Last for ages, great off road and excellent on snow.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    I use a honest tyre guy and he said two of the biggest money earners are scrapping any punctures runflat tyre. He said runflats by design are more repairable than ordinary thin cased tyres.
    His other is turning unevenly worn tyres on the rim, once you can see the chamfering it will continue to wear out even if you turn it.
    Many years ago I used to fit tyres for a living so know a little about it. The problem is directional tyres which are so in fashion now and the G-Grip is directional so it means turning more than one. The repair would be possible of course but not economical as where it it it really requires vuclanising and that means sending it away.

    I know that I didn't buy these but after seeing how they crazed in the wall and after driving in the snow I would not recommend these Goodrich tyres to my enemy let alone a friend. Safe to say it's had it this one.

    When we bought the car it was sitting on optional alloys, ones that were offered as an option to the standard fitting and of course had a space saver spare. After a few months I picked up a set of 4 original "Crowns" for her so have a spare set of alloy wheels one of which have been carrying as a spare. This morning I will phone the breakers and see if I can get a 5th "Crown". The chances of finding a "Y" spoke (the optionals) are pretty slim.

    What ever once the frost goes off I need to wash the car as it's caked in mud, beet harvesting is happening and roads are like mud tracks, and pop off the wheels to clean them inside and out ready for balancing or storing.

  5. #5
    I'm a firm believer in winter tyres, and indeed should be mandatory like on the continent. Driving in wet conditions, snow and ice becomes an absolute non event with them on.

    If all vehicles, in particular trucks, buses and rescue vehicles had them fitted we would n't get the rediculous grinding to a halt with 1" of snow every winter. Yes there is the capital cost of an extra set of tyres and posibyl rims, but because they don't spin winters last longer in the winter, and your summer tyres also last longer - net result is similar if not lower costs to running just ordinary tyres. And as a country wen would nt have to spend the fortune on gritting and whinging that the fritters haven't got out etc. at very least trucks should carry a set of snow socks or chains so they can free themselves when they jackknife on snow.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 26-11-2013 at 10:46.

  6. #6
    I don't really understant why people don't carry a set of snow chains in the boot. I mean they're not even very expensive. Every winter I raise this point with colleagues who have been stranded (the big hill that goes down to High Wycombe is a popular sport for my colleagues to turn back), and they say it's not worth it for just a few days a year. Except that it happens every single year, and that your snow chains will last for ever.

    That said, sometimes I enjoy just sitting at the window watching cars slide across the camber on small London streets. I do like a bit of harmless chaos.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I don't really understant why people don't carry a set of snow chains in the boot. I mean they're not even very expensive. Every winter I raise this point with colleagues who have been stranded (the big hill that goes down to High Wycombe is a popular sport for my colleagues to turn back), and they say it's not worth it for just a few days a year. Except that it happens every single year, and that your snow chains will last for ever.

    That said, sometimes I enjoy just sitting at the window watching cars slide across the camber on small London streets. I do like a bit of harmless chaos.
    My point exactly - it only takes one car to spin out and stop on the hill. I recall when I was a boy, must have been 1976, having to spend the night in the car at the bottom of Wycombe hill when the whole was jammed solid by a snow storm. But we have never had another snow storm since then have we?

  8. #8
    Some cars just eat tires, others don't. Our roads are possibly the worst in Europe and car manufacturers come over here to look at the failing parts their new models. Even so I used the cheapest snow symbol tires on my Nissan Navara that could be found. They have been on for around 32000 miles and can still do some more. All other jeeps I had in the past didn't last half as long. Maybe the only good thing about the Navara. I prefer to run winter tires all year round as it doesn't get warm in Ireland anyway.
    edi

  9. #9
    People need to learn how to drive in snow before putting snow tyres on their cars. Gripper tyres just allows them to get into deeper s##t.

    Al

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    O/S/F tyre has been going down. The chap I usually go to has been too busy so yesterday ended up at the tyre depot in town. Yep found it easily nail through the edge of the tread so not in a repairable place. Typical tyre has about 5mm left on it.

    Then the chap points out that it's worn on the inner edge.............................. very unhappy now as I had the Four wheel tracking done less than a year ago and we don't do that many miles. Seems I need to get it checked twice or three times a year due to the dreadful state of our roads.

    So it's new tyre time. After the experience of last winters snow and finding out just how awful these Goodrich G-Grips are in snow replacing both fronts is a no brainer. The G-grips were on the car when we bought it. The question was then do we buy a set of Winter tyres of just replace the front two. The rears have done about 7000 miles and are fine.

    So after a discussion with "the chancellor" a set of winter tyres it is. Never had winter tyres before so this should be interesting. Due to the prices we have to go fairly "Budget" a premium set as quite frankly around 600 for set fitted is beyond the pockets reach.

    300 is quite enough stretch thank you. It will interesting to see what the alignment check shows.
    We order our tires online... Get the bestsellers delivered cheaper than can get the bottom line at the shop... As far as your alignment goes, of course it'll be off and need adjusting. The interesting part would be taking it to the next shop a couple miles away and see what they tell you.... If the tires that are worn inside are the same ones that were on it when you had your alignment done, they would keep wearing uneven...

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale outdoor edge zip blade plus outdoor edge pak saw
    By mmbeatle in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-02-2013, 13:00
  2. For Sale outdoor edge zip blade plus outdoor edge pak saw
    By mmbeatle in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-11-2012, 20:12
  3. puncture
    By welder in forum Other Shooting & Keepering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 20:37
  4. Outdoor Edge SwingBlaze
    By mayfly in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28-06-2011, 16:50
  5. outdoor edge
    By dc5 in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 09:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •