Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week a year??

One week a year??

Why don't we all designate a week a year to hit the scourge of the songbird the MAGPIE? The sparrows and finches are nearly all gone due to these egg eating rats. RSPB acknowledges this but thinks a cull is cruel so why don't we all hammer them hard prior to their early nesting month? The skies are full of them in places and we could at least try and put a big dent in that and help the wee birds?

just catch a few and teach them that starling eggs taste good....Then turn em loose to tell their buddies... Killin two birds with stone yaknow....

I'd be up for that although I shoot as many as I can when I'm out anyway there's loads around here!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I kill magpies whenever they present the opportunity. I once killed over 100 in a season with an imprint female sparrowhawk .

I like to decoy them into safe .223 range; they make beautiful patterns!

17hmr magpie sniping is the best fun you can have fully clothed
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I run larsons and shoot them when I can....But a dedicated week a year see who snags the most be good. Should have a grey squirrel week as well while we at it

Definitely a grey squirrel week - I have shot plenty over the last few weeks with the HMR and a few magpies. There are loads of both species around, saw 12 magpies in one tree at the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaras View Post
    I run larsons and shoot them when I can....But a dedicated week a year see who snags the most be good. Should have a grey squirrel week as well while we at it
    Ah, slight dilemma there.... my kids feed them in the garden and we don't have any reds rounds our way so I can't use that argument and they gather up all the fallen acorns which are bad for horses, so that saves me a job.
    Last edited by Si; 26-11-2013 at 14:49.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Ah, slight dilemma there.... my kids feed them in the garden and we don't have any reds rounds our way so I can't use that argument and they gather up all the fallen acorns which are bad for horses, so that saves me a job.
    Silence is golden .. borrow an air rifle when said kids are at school.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.