Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stalking ability... are people losing it?

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north

stalking ability... are people losing it?

After reading several topics on tracking dogs and carrying pistols to put wounded deer out of their misery I can't help but wonder if people are losing their ability to actually stalk deer. By that I mean to use fieldcraft skills and knowledge of the ground to actually get close to deer.... as in 100 yards or less.
    When you get this close to deer you should have no problem making a swift and clean kill, therefore negating the need to track with a dog or unholster a pistol.

Arguments please...

I think all profesional deer stalkers, that is people taking out stalking clients should have a dog as there is always the problem of badly shot deer. I had this experience with Sikamalc only last weekend when a friend of mine messed up a shot and gut shot a fallow. Without the dog it would not have been found and been left to a horrible end. if I were to afford the time and money to stalk more often then I would deffinatly have a dog probably a Teckel.
    As regards pistols that should be left to the idavidual to decide.
    Tusker

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    I think all profesional deer stalkers, that is people taking out stalking clients should have a dog as there is always the problem of badly shot deer. I had this experience with Sikamalc only last weekend when a friend of mine messed up a shot and gut shot a fallow. Without the dog it would not have been found and been left to a horrible end. if I were to afford the time and money to stalk more often then I would deffinatly have a dog probably a Teckel.
    As regards pistols that should be left to the idavidual to decide.
    Tusker

If your managing to make bad shots you probaly shouldnt be taking them in the first place. Now im not saying i have not done coz i have. And anyone who says they havent are talking garbage. But afterwards you think too yourself should have waited till it turned a bit more, could have got bit closer there. Everyone makes mistakes and there is a place for dogs too find deer when it may go wrong. But pistols is a bit far......... Cant see a need for them. A follow up shot with the rifle u have wud do job fine.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by monarman View Post
    After reading several topics on tracking dogs and carrying pistols to put wounded deer out of their misery I can't help but wonder if people are losing their ability to actually stalk deer. By that I mean to use fieldcraft skills and knowledge of the ground to actually get close to deer.... as in 100 yards or less.
    When you get this close to deer you should have no problem making a swift and clean kill, therefore negating the need to track with a dog or unholster a pistol.

Arguments please...
    well i stalked into a group of hinds last weekend and took a hind at 65yds , as for the pistol been there done that and sold it about as much good as chocolate fireguard !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Arguments please...
    Is this a 'light the blue touch paper and sit back' kind of a post???

If only it were as easy as getting to under 100yds every time a shot is taken, especially when numbers are required. And who says a close easy shot cannot be missed, or result in a runner? In fact thinking back at misses or bad shots, there will have been as many close up as at the limits of reasonable range. I'm actually erring towards more close shots being missed on reflection!

A dog dog is not just for tracking wounded deer. They can indicate a clean miss as well, plus companionship, indicate deers presence etc etc...

As for a handgun, only to be used where a rifle can't, its a valuable tool. Funny because anyone who is out with me and discusses following up deer on my ground, completely agrees that it would be impossible to do so with a rifle...

Inexperience, ignorance, poor ethics, laziness plus some other reasons have all resulted in deer being lost in this country, or assumed to have been missed...

Using a dog through areas like this is an easy follow up so i can carry on stalking once a red/roe drops in bracken its far easier to find with the dog.

I dont think i have lost the stalking ability shown it before but will again,filmed off my iphone

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Stalked into a good few deer and that's the thrill of it for me. If a 99.9 percent instant kill shot doesn't present itself then I don't take the shot. Ok I have messed a couple up, pulled a shot, or hit an obstruction between barrel & deer. Only needed the dog twice for myself, many more times for an ex mate who doesn't share the same ethics and shoots at anything.
    Every time I've messed up I've gone back and examined everything to find out what went wrong, learning for next time.
    So dog - yes very valuable bit of kit
    Pistol - never needed or even considered one
    Wingy

Arguments please...
    I think your observations are based on one simple fact......communication.
    Gone are the days where the only time you heard about other stalkers experiences was at a DI or BDS or some other collection of similarly minded people.
    Now we are updated on the naunces of just about every stalk some people have. This isnt a bad thing. It allows us to learn from others' mistakes as well as the good parts.
    Woodland stalking allows much closer stalking to the objective to be achieved.
    Id like to hear from some of the hill guides that frequent here on whether they think shot distances are being extended or staying about the same...
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

a good dog is worth its weight in gold ...the only time my dogs aint with me is at the range ........ great help in any field sports not just stalking.....

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post

As for a handgun, only to be used where a rifle can't, its a valuable tool. Funny because anyone who is out with me and discusses following up deer on my ground, completely agrees that it would be impossible to do so with a rifle...
    What type of ground do you stalk on and what makes it impossible to do with a rifle? Don't get me wrong - I'm not doubting you, just curious