Thread: Venison recipe for 16 people??

Venison recipe for 16 people??

I've just been told by the girlfriend that I'm cooking enough venison for her 16 person dinner party, its a fancy indoor do so a whole carcass is out. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something that coud be cooked in a regular kitchen? I've got freezers full of all cuts of roe. Any suggestions or help would be great! Thanks, Ross.

Hey Ross. If you have loads of small cuts try something like this.
    Bear in mind this can be done with one type of meat or a few different ones. Add some dried Rosemary and thyme into your layers and perhaps the odd Juniper berry. Roast it very, very slowly. Oh, and wrap it all in tin foil.
    I think you`ll find it under a turrine in this section.

Ingredients.
    Loads of bacon.
    A packet of stuffing.
    Pieces of your favourite game meat. (More varieties the better)

Method.
    Take a baking tin, ie, the sort you would bake a loaf of bread in.
    Completely line the tin with bacon, also over lapping the tin.
    Next, put in a layer of meat then add some stuffing, a layer of meat, then stuffing until you are level with the top of the tin.
    Fold the bacon over the top.
    Bake on a low heat for about three hours.
    P.S. You can use sausage meat instead of stuffing, but i think stuffing is best.
    basil.
    ps. I think you`ll need something larger than a loaf tin though!!

Ross,

Unless you have experience in the Army catering corp or of cooking in a restaurant, I'd suggest that you go for something stew/casserole based. If you try and do something like a roast, you'll need an oven the size of a car and still risk it being over/underdone by the time you've got everyone to the table!

I've found venison stands up well to middle eastern and north african flavours - lots of heat and spice - so try a venison version of a Moroccan tagine with cumin, lemon and apricots, served with a nice easy heap of cous cous and fresh coriander, some pots of hot Harissa paste for the chilli junkies and some 30-second yoghurt sauces for the wusses. Even a decent venision curry with rice usually goes down well.

Basically something you can bung in the oven (or make the day before) and it won't matter if everyone sits down to eat an hour late, nor will you have to spend the whole party in the kitchen when you could be chatting up your bird's hot mates.

Otherwise and if they're snobs, grill 16 small venison chops and serve on a pile of two green beans, one new potato and some carrot shavings - tell them it's 'nouvelle cuisine' and they'll worship you as the new Raymond Blanc.

PM me if you want some recipes for posh stews.

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    Ross,

Unless you have experience in the Army catering corp or of cooking in a restaurant, I'd suggest that you go for something stew/casserole based. If you try and do something like a roast, you'll need an oven the size of a car and still risk it being over/underdone by the time you've got everyone to the table!

I've found venison stands up well to middle eastern and north african flavours - lots of heat and spice - so try a venison version of a Moroccan tagine with cumin, lemon and apricots, served with a nice easy heap of cous cous and fresh coriander, some pots of hot Harissa paste for the chilli junkies and some 30-second yoghurt sauces for the wusses. Even a decent venision curry with rice usually goes down well.

Basically something you can bung in the oven (or make the day before) and it won't matter if everyone sits down to eat an hour late, nor will you have to spend the whole party in the kitchen when you could be chatting up your bird's hot mates.

Otherwise and if they're snobs, grill 16 small venison chops and serve on a pile of two green beans, one new potato and some carrot shavings - tell them it's 'nouvelle cuisine' and they'll worship you as the new Raymond Blanc.

PM me if you want some recipes for posh stews.

Adam.
    Not a bad suggestion Adam, but what if three out of the sixteen don`t like hot and spicy flavours? It`s not to everyones liking.
    I must admit though, the more suggestions the better.
    basil.

Thanks for all the help! I liked the sound of Adams curry idea, had never even thought of venison curry but apparently all the girly little stomachs down in Leeds wouldn't be able to handle it. Im thinking of going for the terrine- fairly impressive and the logistics of making it would seem relatively easy and will probably be supplemented with other meats- freezers overflowing with pheasant/rabbit/duck/hare etc etc after a weekend back home with my big brother!

selection of lean game meat, about 1kg/2¼lb in all, which could include:
    breasts of pheasant (hung about 5 days)
    breasts of pigeon
    breasts of duck or other wild fowl
    saddle and hindquarters of 1 rabbit, boned
    saddle and hindquarters of hare, boned
    lean strips of venison (from the leg or fillet)
    oil or fat, for frying
    For the forcemeat:
    500g/1lb2oz sausage meat
    livers from all the game, finely chopped
    2 handfuls fresh white breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
    few sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and chopped
    5-6 juniper berries, crushed in pestle and mortar
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    splash of brandy
    splash of red wine
    salt and pepper
    To line the dish:
    300g/10½oz streaky bacon, flattened with the back of a knife

Method
    1. In a large mixing bowl combine the sausage meat and the chopped livers from the game.
    2. Next add the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, thyme, juniper berries and garlic. Then the wine and brandy, season with the salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly, preferably with your hands.
    3. Cut the game meat into roughly same-size strips, about 2 fingers thick.
    4. In a heavy-based frying pan heat the fat or oil and fry the game pieces for 2 minutes until nicely browned.
    5. Line a loaf tin or ceramic terrine dish with the stretched rashers of streaky bacon. Add a layer of forcemeat followed by a layer of game meat, then a layer of forcemeat followed by another layer of game meat. (If you like, you can put the same kind of meat in each layer, ie a layer of rabbit, a layer of pigeon and then a layer of pheasant). However many layers you make (I usually go for three) be sure to finish with a layer of the forcemeat.
    6. Fold the exposed strips of bacon over the top of the terrine and cover well with kitchen foil. If your terrine dish has a lid on it so much the better.
    7. Place the terrine dish in a roasting tin half-filled with hot water. Cook in the oven at 160C/325F/Gas 3 for approximately 1½-2 hours. Test with a skewer to see if it is cooked, if the skewer does not come out of the terrine piping hot then it is not ready.
    8. For the best possible texture and easy slicing, your terrine should be pressed as it cools. Find a piece of wood or plastic that fits snugly inside the terrine dish and weigh it down with a brick or two. (Another similar size dish or loaf tin with a brick inside often does the trick, but wrap it in cling film if you're using a tin.) Leave the terrine until completely cold for several hours or overnight.
    9. To serve the terrine, slice it thickly with a very sharp knife, put on a plate with a small salad of lightly dressed green leaves and a blob of good fruit chutney. Serve with hot toast.

MMMMNNN, sounds Yumminnits, scuse me, gotta go eat now!

Don't ask Jo!, hopefully this coming new year I will have a lot more work in & therefore an enforced activity to offset the broken on off switch in the tummy dept ps. can't get separated from the sweet tatties either!