Thread: 243 tight neck....?

243 tight neck....?

Just taking a break from my HND revision, please excuse my ignorance but what does the term tight neck mean regarding chamber i.e. 243AI tight neck.
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...

My .243 is a tight neck, meaning it has a smaller/thinner neck diameter than the standard saami spec .243. If you have a tight neck you will have to neck turn your brass......

Quote Originally Posted by Rotwild View Post
    Just taking a break from my HND revision, please excuse my ignorance but what does the term tight neck mean regarding chamber i.e. 243AI tight neck.
    it means the chamber reamer used has been made to a specific size for example .270 .268 .266.you then can neck turn your brass to allow minimum case expansion.
    its used a lot in long range precision rifle builds as it takes another variable out of reloading.you also can use correctly neck bushing dies to fine tune your neck tension.basically its aids consistant accuracy.
    you can also use it as a fitted neck which mean you don't have to re size your brass once its been fired as the spring back creates the neck tension but that's real extreame
    its not for the novice reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    it means the chamber reamer used has been made to a specific size for example .270 .268 .266.you then can neck turn your brass to allow minimum case expansion.
    its used a lot in long range precision rifle builds as it takes another variable out of reloading.you also can use correctly neck bushing dies to fine tune your neck tension.basically its aids consistant accuracy.
    you can also use it as a fitted neck which mean you don't have to re size your brass once its been fired as the spring back creates the neck tension but that's real extreame
    its not for the novice reloader.
    Thanks for your reply, question answered.
    And yet another 7mm-08 user...