Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing live primmers

removing live primmers

hi, well after having bought a 2nd hand die set and using it for 1st time tonight, although it removed the used primmers it dint neck size at the same time!!! so I,ve got 20 live primmers I need to remove. any help please on how too do this.
    cheers stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

The same way you removed the spent ones, never yet had one pop doing this.
    The only precaution would be wear safety glasses, and work the press handle slowly if you want to reuse the primers.
    (personally I remove the de-prime pin, this allows you to re-size with primers in place, but I do it as I won't put dirty cases
    near my clean sizing dies)

Neil.

Slowlly does it and they will come out no problem.

thanks guy's, thought so just double checking lol
    stav

Depends which dies he has. Using Lee dies, the shank of the decapping pin is the mandrel which the neck is pressed onto. With the pin out the neck crushes. I had to make a duplicate decapping pin without the pin on the end for this purpose. Not sure if that is limited to FL or neck resize LEE dies, can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    The same way you removed the spent ones, never yet had one pop doing this.
    The only precaution would be wear safety glasses, and work the press handle slowly if you want to reuse the primers.
    (personally I remove the de-prime pin, this allows you to re-size with primers in place, but I do it as I won't put dirty cases
    near my clean sizing dies)

Neil.

Stav, just pull up the decaper so it don't push out the primers, then neck size the cases, save you some work mate Johnnie F aka deerwarden.

yeah just been messing around with them, they are rcbs and got neck and fl. but will just wind the decaper up. cheers john boy.
    stav

Pretty sure with rcbs you can remove the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by gmart122 View Post
    Using Lee dies, the shank of the decapping pin is the mandrel which the neck is pressed onto. With the pin out the neck crushes. I had to make a duplicate decapping pin without the pin on the end for this purpose. Not sure if that is limited to FL or neck resize LEE dies, can't remember.
    Assuming you are right handed, hold die in left hand, grip pin with pliers, bend pin sideways.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Assuming you are right handed, hold die in left hand, grip pin with pliers, bend pin sideways.

Neil.
    Typical ........................ I assume form a Lee hater.

One thing I have never had a pin break on Lee dies but have the little bubble packs of spares for the RCBS dies as have need them in the past....................... Hmmm wonder what that says?