Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 or 30.06?

.308 or 30.06?

OK Folks,
    after all the back and forth (on an American forum) about which lever gun and whether new or used, finding the hornandy 30-30 ammo (only 30-30 that meets the Germany requirement for pigs), yadda yadda... I (SWMBO) decided I am getting a BLR (Browning Leveraction Rifle) for Christmas... At the moment, I have a like new condition used in .308 with a nice Kahles scope on a local auction. If I don't get it, I'll be getting a new one.
    ??? is, I already have a mauser in 30.06 that I am real happy with, just want a lever gun (back to the roots yaknow).... Should I get the BLR in 30.06 and keep one ammunition? Or, is the .308 soooo much better of a choice? This'll be the last gun I buy (unless maybe a small caliber sometime).... shots well inside 300 yards (<150 the norm)pigs and roe deer... pushin 50 years and not getting younger. Stick to the .06 or is .308 gonna make me happier down the road?

Whatcha think?

Right where's those stones , I'll start !

If you have 30-06 already get another one. Find a round both like and life is simplified. Never a bad thing in my opinion.

David.

I think more important than the tiny difference in performance is ...which cartridge feeds better in those rifles.
    Try find that out. If both feed without problems then go for 308.
    With a short barrel you might even have higher performance with the 308. Cartridge is loaded to slightly higher pressure.
    edi

You must be more efficient than I am. I am more likely to "do a David" and arrive somewhere with non matching rounds/rifle!!!!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    You must be more efficient than I am. I am more likely to "do a David" and arrive somewhere with non matching rounds/rifle!!!!

David.
    I worry about that more than I'd joke about it... To the point that, if I get a .308, I'll likely sell the .06....

I have 4 308 hunting rifles for a reason.... three of them shoot under 1/2" with the same ammo. The fourth I haven't fired yet.
    edi

For the purpose you describe there will be no difference on game.

Recoil, killing power, accuracy, ammunition avaliablity, etc. Get the rifle that you can find the best deal on.

The 06 comes into it's own with heavy bullet when hunting abroad.

Anywhere in the world big game is hunted seriously you will be able to scrounge a handful of 06 ammo with good bullets for the job at hand. You can also get 308 ammo easily but not as often loaded with the sort of bullets that suit really heavy game.

Thanks! If I don't get the used .308 for a decent price, I'll buy the new 30.06... May or may not put a scope on it as long as I can see the sights....

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Thanks! If I don't get the used .308 for a decent price, I'll buy the new 30.06... May or may not put a scope on it as long as I can see the sights....

If I lived in a place with your gunlaws I would be looking for a BLR in a calibre that I could rebarrel to .358 Winchester for the swartzwild. I am not really interested in wildcats but I would consider a 9.3mm-08 very hard too.

If I ended up with a 30.06 BLR I would be looking very hard a 9.3mm rebarrel job to so perhaps I am not the person to ask...