Thread: Deer Dog Training Book or Manual

Deer Dog Training Book or Manual

Can anyone recommend a book or manual about deer dog training?

Hints & tips would also be welcome, particularly in respect of Springer Spaniels.

atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Can anyone recommend a book or manual about deer dog training?

Hints & tips would also be welcome, particularly in respect of Springer Spaniels.

atb Tim
    Niels Sondergaards book, Working With Dogs for Deer is an excellent read. However, he is quite blunt and to the point when it comes to choosing a breed and the characteristics necessary to become proficient at working with deer. One point being starting with a breed that's likely to offer a big part of that hoped for success. It depends I suppose on what level of proficiency you want to achieve.

Regardless, good luck with the dog and the training...

I can say in the book Brian qouted there is some really usefull information not only on the dogs side but injury of deer and habits when injured its well worth reading matb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Niels Sondergaards book, Working With Dogs for Deer is an excellent read. However, he is quite blunt and to the point when it comes to choosing a breed and the characteristics necessary to become proficient at working with deer. One point being starting with a breed that's likely to offer a big part of that hoped for success. It depends I suppose on what level of proficiency you want to achieve.

Regardless, good luck with the dog and the training...
    The dog that I want to train is unusually clever and obedient for a spaniel, the most important thing that I am looking for is for him to be able to follow a wound trail. I nearly lost a deer a few weeks ago that was under a Rhododendron bush that was a few feet from where I was stood. Fortunately there was a trained dog to hand which found it very quickly.

atb Tim

Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    +1 on Niels Sondergaards' book; also the book 'Dead On!' by John Jeanneney is very informative (I haven't read the hardback book 'Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer' but have it on my Christmas list).

Ask Kit who runs Muntjac Trading...

http://192.185.17.111/~philphel/munt...ategory/books/

As mentioned, the Dogs for Deer by Neils Sondergaard & Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer by John Jeanneney were the two main reference books recommended to me and which I, as a relative novice, can thoroughly recommend. Also the little paper pamphlet "Training Dogs for Woodland Deer Stalking by Guy Wallace" comes in about 7 from the BDS site & can be handy too, between the three above, you can pick all sorts of advice and training tips.

Sondergaard's book - v good. Also check out BASC training days.