Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got to hand it to them but would they of bothered if it had been a Land Rover.

thats how i give my land rover its sping clean. ten out of ten for effort. i like the two guys walking in a circle. doing a grand job then aonther comes along and thinks hes helping by skidding round. would love to know what they thought

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    had it been a land rover they would have left it where it was,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Had it been a Toyota, it would have started first turn, then been driven to the top of the nearest high rise building to await demolition.

I don't believe it. The speed at which the vehicle was moved back was far greater than the amount of rope being taken in by the improvised windlass. The rate of movement in the video was more consistent with that of an electric winch. I've made and used improvised windlasses/capstan winches in the past and we never ever got a rate of pull that good or that smooth. For a start the rope will mount up unevenly on the shaft giving an uneven rate of pull, you can't see any build up of rope on the shaft whatsoever in the film so where does it go?
    Last edited by 8x57; 28-11-2013 at 06:01.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I don't believe it. The speed at which the vehicle was moved back was far greater than the amount of rope being taken in by the improvised windlass. The rate of movement in the video was more consistent with that of an electric winch. I've made and used improvised windlasses/capstan winches in the past and we never ever got a rate of pull that good or that smooth. For a start the rope will mount up unevenly on the shaft giving an uneven rate of pull, you can't see any build up of rope on the shaft whatsoever in the film so where does it go?
    And how did they attach the rope to the car to drag it out in the first place?
    Wingy

Had it been a landrover it would have broken down before it got in the lake !

To be fair i have had Land Rovers for 45 years and never once had to be towed off the road. Small niggles and recalls yes but i think those who are the first to ridicule should look at their workhorse or is it just a pretty thing in the driveway. My favourite farmer has went from LR to nissan then toyota and now back to 3 green ovals.
    My pal got a brand new subaru SUV on saturday and it was rezcued on Monday with 100 miles on the clock...something my Solihull chariots never needed. A good well maintained Defender will give you years of reliable service so why do folks that drive Jap junk hate them and try to decry them at every chance? Bobjs... Did you get your Vitara sold??

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You need to go back and watch it again, the rope coils on the capstan show clearly.

Neil.

Sorry mate but I must be in a particularly cynical mood today, I am still unsure about it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.