14 sleeps

reiver

Just 14 more sleeps till Basswood pigfest :love: going to be a long 2weeks!!!
just hope the weather gets colder & drier in Croatia.

Just 14 more sleeps till Basswood pigfest :love: going to be a long 2weeks!!!
just hope the weather gets colder & drier in Croatia.

It is and is, getting colder and drier by the day.
Just got back. hope the Airline is playing fair for you, they were on strike last week, a one day strike at Zagreb, we landed in Split and was bussed up to Zagreb.
Not ideal for our trip but fantastic scenery, food and water available on the bus and a very comfortable bus too. It just made us a bit late getting to Slatina that was all.
Return flight was no bother.

PS. There are still a few pigs left for you :D

Hi Eddy
I heard that your trip had a bit more traveling to do and also a bit of rain as well.
How did you get on with the pigs?

Bob

I didn't mention it before because I am still getting over it !! but here goes.
I was stood on a narrow track with no view in front of me other than a wall of bushes and tall grass.
The pigs were not playing again (for us) they didn't want to move and fought the dogs until all the dogs piled in and then they finally decided to move.
The dogs were fighting a pig about twenty yards to my right and about five yards deep in the bushes and it went on for what seemed like ages but was probably only five minutes.
I stood with my rifle shouldered in the aim ready for the pig to break away when all of a sudden a dog yelped and the noise reached a crescendo.
I was all keyed up when suddenly one of the biggest, blackest, ugliest boar broke cover beside me and ran under my rifle barrel, straight into cover the other side of the track.
I could not reverse my rifle quick enough but fired in desperation/fright/shock anyway, then it was all over.
If it had broken cover any closer to me it would have ran over my boots !!

Last edited:
Hi Bob. Only 7 sleeps for me and Shaun! Will give you a full report after the weekend and look forward to linking up on the 16th. Chris.

Off there on Thursday so I hope to have a good experience. Going down by road from Bavaria. No worse than Dover to Scotland.
Martin

I didn't mention it before because I am still getting over it !! but here goes.
I was stood on a narrow track with no view in front of me other than a wall of bushes and tall grass.
The pigs were not playing again (for us) they didn't want to move and fought the dogs until all the dogs piled in and then they finally decided to move.
The dogs were fighting a pig about twenty yards to my right and about five yards deep in the bushes and it went on for what seemed like ages but was probably only five minutes.
I stood with my rifle shouldered in the aim ready for the pig to break away when all of a sudden a dog yelped and the noise reached a crescendo.
I was all keyed up when suddenly one of the biggest, blackest, ugliest boar broke cover beside me and ran under my rifle barrel, straight into cover the other side of the track.
I could not reverse my rifle quick enough but fired in desperation/fright/shock anyway, then it was all over.
If it had broken cover any closer to me it would have ran over my boots !!

Was that the only opportunity you had during the trip Eddie?

Unfortunately for me yes, but I enjoyed the adrenalin rush from the others who were more fortunate than I.
I'm off to Hungary later this month so am hoping that will make up for my lack of 'gun use' that time.
I might even take a bayonet this time, just in case :D

Back