griffin vs otterbox vs lifeproof

Monkey Spanker

Right, I've finally entered the modern world and bought an iphone!
There appear to be a few tough cases on the market and I'm wondering which would be the best choice to suit a stalker's lifestyle?
Anyone had any good or bad experience with any of the 3 I've found?
Cheers,
MS

Griffin Survivor has protected mine for the last 10 months. The grinding dust in the forge is always a problem with magnetic mikes and speakers and it has kept that out so far. I have dropped it a few times and it just bounced.

One disadvantage is that the soft rubber clings to your shirt pocket and makes it difficult to get out in a hurry. This "feature" becomes an advantage however when you lean over the edge of a parapet and it does not fall out! Also good for preventing it sliding off the dashboard or whatever in the car.

The other disadvantage is that when I compare a beautiful slinky state of the art slimline iPhone with my chunky rubber brick my aesthetic sensibilities are somewhat disturbed! :)

Alan

p.s. just looked at the Lifeproof one you mentioned and that looks very good. The Griffin Survivor is water resistant but not waterproof. I wonder how they get the sound in and keep the water out?

Last edited:
I bought the Griffin Survivor for my iphone 4S used it for a couple of months and took it off as I found it too bulky and awkward (sticky). I now use a Griffin soft gel type case with a thin plastic screen protector, never had any problems.

Willie

Lifeproof for me, I changed from an otter box as it was letting dust in.
The lifeproof is waterproof too. I have tested it.

I use a otterbox, as mention above, they are bulky, but i find its a good case, I have dropped mine quite a few times, with no problems

Hi mick +1 on the otter box fantastic I fell in a deep stream just after I got my iPhone I know the OB int waterproof but it did stop the phone from any damage, I looked on eBay most of them were £30+ but got mine at£19 what a bargain you wont go wrong with one bazil

Last edited:
Had the Griffin, was very good but bulky and sticky in pocket, changed to Lifeproof, while a lot slimmer than the Griffin, it doesn't take the knocks as well. My case (now 15 months old) has seal exposed from edge falling off and the screw in plugs for the speaker / phones jack is knackered too.

Both cases have saved the phones they were protecting and paid for themselves many times over - I have a pretty physical day job and the phone gets used all the time and knocked about in the 4wd and when dealing with "customers"

I'll be trying the Taktick next, as I'm due an upgrade soon...

Unless of course theres a british version made of oak and leather, with provenance, not produced my new fangled mass production machines and crafted under a new moon by an alchemist inscribed with a P and H on his left testicle…..

This is made in an attempt at humour, please take it that way..

Last edited:
Be very careful not to buy a counterfeit of any of these products off the internet.

Having said that, I have an otterbox fake (bought without realising) but it does a brilliant job. I will be buying a Lunatik though.

I got an Otterbox Armor direct from the states, waterproof, dust proof. Not the cheapest but I have killed two iPhone 4S in water, so took the plunge so to speak!

ordered it on a Sunday evening was here by the Wednesday, not bad service at all!

OtterBoxArmor Series
GS3

iPhone 5

iPhone 4/4S

Additional devices being evaluated
We researched. We innovated. We developed. We tested. We refined. We retested. We executed. We delivered.
The Armor Series is waterproof for 30 minutes in 6.6 ft., survives 10 ft. drops, allows for zero entry of dust and debris and can withstand two tons of crushing force. We know how heavy the burden of a damaged device can be, which is why we don’t take protection lightly. The Armor Series outperforms what was ever thought possible for a smartphone case. It’s the toughest case ever built.

Have a look on MobileFun.co.uk for the Spigen Slim Armour view case. I just ordered one for my Galaxy S4. They look the DB's and get very good reviews.

I've got an otterbox armour series case. £40 off amazon uk and it's very good. Seems to be most things proof and there were no other cases on the market that offered all the protection that this thing does. I'm very pleased with it.

kind regards, Olaf

2 years protection from my Otterbox before it fell to bits but it had a hard life. Griffin about 10 months use so far. Camera lens harder to access with the griffin but an all round chunkier case IMO. Do not keep either in the same pocket as bank card or cash notes. As already mentioned the silicone is "sticky" so to speak. I've lost count of the money I've pulled from my pocket and lost!

On the plus side my 3YO iPhone 4 is still in mint condition under the case.

Survivor is very good but bulky and sticky but the odds of damaging your phone are very slim
but it will make life a knightmare if u have it on your phone at work and have tight pockets

Holy thread resurrection! I got a Griffin in the end which is good. I have even dropped it 12 feet from a highseat when caught off-guard by a Munty buck whilst texting!:doh: It was fine (the phone that is, the Muntjac wasn't!;))
From what I've seen and heard, the waterproof type ones also shield the audio a bit which can make voices sound faint or muffled in comparison.
I also bought the missus an iphone which she didn't cover too well and promptly smashed on the first day out with it!:banghead:

Bought a kit off ebay and changed the screen myself for £16!:smug:
MS

I went down the route of armour plating my iphone. Not only was it drop proof and waterproof but call proof. The signal strength went down a couple of bars and in marginal areas that meant it just wouldn't work. Went back to one of the leather wallet type ones. Still saves scratches, is safe in most drop situations but of course is only slightly less waterproof than a sponge. Might be a consideration.

I've had the life proof and the griffin. I like the sleekness of the life proof but life proof it was not!! And the screen was awefully bouncy! I've got the survivor now and yes it's bulky but it is built like a tank! As said be very very wary of fakes!!!

Back