Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surprise, surprise.

Surprise, surprise.

I hunted in South Dakota last week and the tribal guide for my daughter and her extended family is a long time friend of mine who is a real gunner but lives so far out in the sticks that a trip to the gun store to indulge his likes is a a 180 mile drive. I remembered that he liked Swedish Mausers so I dug into my lot of Swedes and found a decent M-1896 to bring to him dated 1918. In the process of looking I got to inspecting the bores on all of them. Many of these were purchased in a LOT of 10 rifles lashed to a shipping pallet and I'd never really inspected them. One rifle in particular had a very blackened, rough-looking bore but was otherwise a pristine 1920 dated Carl Gustav so I set aside to be rebarreled with one of the new, in-the-white CG barrels I'd bought in the 1980's.

In the shop I was cleaning the rifle I'd bring to my friend and decided to push a patch through the 1920 to see how bad it was. Well! Out came a plug of grease! Two more Hoppes-soaked patches and the bore was brilliantly bright with deep, sharp rifling. Gad! That was a nice surprise!~Muir

How nice it must be to be able to buy a pallet of rifles, dream on !

There were actually 20 rifles on the pallet but I split the order with a friend. They were boxed, so without looking at them, we each took turns choosing a sealed box til we had ten boxes each. He got lucky condition-wise, but I got lucky with makers: I got four Husqvarna and Oberndorf Mauser-built guns. I wish we could get that deal again: $1300 delivered for 20 rifles. But that was 15 years ago, at least.~Muir

I've got a Carl Gustafs 96/38 that was made in 1904. It has a Metallverken target rear sight and all numbers match. The bore is perfect and it shoots better than I can. My youngest daughter laid claim to it a few years ago as her deer rifle. I get a chuckle when we go to the range and she out shoots most of the boys with their new scoped rifles. I think I paid about $75 cdn back in the mid 90's for it, I definitly got my moneys worth on that deal, I do love those old Swedes. One of the boys has an AG42B that he's thinking about selling, it's in excellent shape and shoots really well. Its a bit clubby and will take your fingers off if you're not familiar with them, but they are an interesting piece of firearms history. If he doesn't get silly about price , I'm gonna scoop it.

AB

I sometimes think I was born too late and in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by wcog106 View Post
    I sometimes think I was born too late and in the wrong place.
    That's a feeling I have had most of my life. The modern world is not all that they crack it up to be IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I've got a Carl Gustafs 96/38 that was made in 1904. It has a Metallverken target rear sight and all numbers match. The bore is perfect and it shoots better than I can. My youngest daughter laid claim to it a few years ago as her deer rifle. I get a chuckle when we go to the range and she out shoots most of the boys with their new scoped rifles. I think I paid about $75 cdn back in the mid 90's for it, I definitly got my moneys worth on that deal, I do love those old Swedes. One of the boys has an AG42B that he's thinking about selling, it's in excellent shape and shoots really well. Its a bit clubby and will take your fingers off if you're not familiar with them, but they are an interesting piece of firearms history. If he doesn't get silly about price , I'm gonna scoop it.

AB
    Let me know if you ever burn out the barrel on that M38. I have several new, as issued CG barrels for that one as well. Have a 94 Carbine barrel, too, I believe.

The 42's are fun but they ruin brass. Be forewarned! I sold mine to my buddy Jack many years ago but kept an Egyptian Hakim 8x57 (a copy of the 42) which turned out to be more accurate than the 42. Go figure. You're right: you can lose a finger to a 42 if you get careless!~Muir

The M-38 barrels are still available here from Tradex Canada for $ 100 cdn, an excellent deal( I have two myself, still in the grease) but thanks for the offer. I had a Hakim a few years back but traded it to a buddy who collects semi auto battle rifles. He's also got a Rashid, the only one I've ever seen, thats a very neat little rifle.

This will be my fourth or fifth AG42, and yes they do destroy brass. I've got an SVT that is even worse so I usually stick to mil surp ammo for most of my shooting.

That 94 barrel is not a common item, I know some guys that would gouge your eyes out for it lol

AB

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    The M-38 barrels are still available here from Tradex Canada for $ 100 cdn, an excellent deal( I have two myself, still in the grease) but thanks for the offer. I had a Hakim a few years back but traded it to a buddy who collects semi auto battle rifles. He's also got a Rashid, the only one I've ever seen, thats a very neat little rifle.

This will be my fourth or fifth AG42, and yes they do destroy brass. I've got an SVT that is even worse so I usually stick to mil surp ammo for most of my shooting.

That 94 barrel is not a common item, I know some guys that would gouge your eyes out for it lol

AB
    The SVT: Another rifle with and over active ejector! I had one that was a little "brown and round" in the bore but shot remarkably well with Surplus ammo. I also had two Rashids. They had a deal where by you bought one for the regular price and the second one was half price. The catch?? The second one had no magazine and none were to be found. The rifle shot well but I sold them both eventually; the best shooting of the two going last with the solo magazine.

Century Arms hd 94 barrels back in 83' so i bought a couple. I also bought a like new Mannlicher 6.5x53R carbine barrel (with sights) but have yet to find a turn bolt rifle to install it on. They used to be common as clay but not so much any more. It's on my perpetual 'want' list to build into a woodland deer rifle. Sigh! Too many guns to buy, too many projects on the board, and not enough lifetime left in which to complete them.~Muir