Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hornaday Data Request

  1. #1

    Hornaday Data Request

    Hi guys,

    Does anyone have / is anyone willing to provide some data from the Hornady manual for me?

    I'd like to know what it recommends as good powder for a Hornady 110gr SP / RNSP in .308 Win. Bullets are very hard to get round here at the moment and I've been offered the chance at some of these so I'm thinking about whether I can do anything with them to decide yay / nay.

    I've got data for general 110gr loads from Hodgdon / Alliant etc. but I'd like to know what the manufacturer recommends as fastest / most accurate (if available).

    I'm imagining this as a muntjac load - it doesn't need to be super-fast - c. 3000fps would probably do, but as always, it's a case of matching up what I can get as best I can. Alliant powders preferred - the local RFD has a few tubs lying around.

    With thanks for any assistance anyone can give,

    Adam.
    Last edited by neutron619; 28-11-2013 at 20:57.

  2. #2
    Last edited by YoungGun; 28-11-2013 at 20:33.

  3. #3
    Go see mr beer he will sort you some heads out !

    (I said heads on purpose by the way)
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    They have all their load data on the website.

    http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

    or

    http://www.nosler.com/308-winchester
    Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it, but I have those links. I'm looking specifically for what Hornady publish to see how it compares to the Nosler / Alliant / Hodgdon data. Yes, probably the same, but I'm trying to choose a bullet based on available powders, rather than a powder for the bullet - needs must, unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    Go see mr beer he will sort you some heads out !

    (I said heads on purpose by the way)
    Lol @ heads, and aye, 'tis from him that I've had 100 Interlock 150's on order for the last 3-4 weeks or something like that. I have been told this side of Christmas for those, with another order going in on Tuesday, so I'm going to put a request in for something else on that one. Thought about something lighter for the Munties and now wondering about putting RL7 behind them, but was hoping to find out what Hornady publish themselves.

  5. #5
    Whereabouts are you ? I've a couple of the hornady books if you wanted to borrow one
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

  6. #6
    If you want to use RL7 giving you 3000fps Starting load is 39.5grn, Max 41.6 which then will be touching 3100fps. The B.C for the SP is 0.256 with C.O.L @ 2.690", RN is 0.150 C.O.L 2.515" If you haven't tried it i would work a batch of 5 rnds at 0.5 grn increments and fire them over a chrono so you can see the speed and what's happening down range regards to accuracy. As you say it's not all about speed i'm looking for accuracy when reloading. Info from the 7th edition Hornady manual hope this helps you out.

    Jim

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    Whereabouts are you ? I've a couple of the hornady books if you wanted to borrow one
    You have a PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 30.06 View Post
    If you want to use RL7 giving you 3000fps Starting load is 39.5grn, Max 41.6 which then will be touching 3100fps. The B.C for the SP is 0.256 with C.O.L @ 2.690", RN is 0.150 C.O.L 2.515" If you haven't tried it i would work a batch of 5 rnds at 0.5 grn increments and fire them over a chrono so you can see the speed and what's happening down range regards to accuracy. As you say it's not all about speed i'm looking for accuracy when reloading. Info from the 7th edition Hornady manual hope this helps you out.

    Jim
    Jim,

    Thank you very much for this. Pretty sure the local RFD, Mr Beer, has some RL7 on the shelf so this looks like it might be a workable combination. I'll give them a call tomorrow and find out. Interestingly, that example isn't too far off the energy / velocity of a .243 with 100gr bullets (though I daresay it'll look different at 200 yards!), which I've used to drop Muntjac in the past perfectly well, so I may indeed be onto a winner there.

    Thanks for taking the time to post the info - much appreciated.

    Adam.

  8. #8
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	35241

    That's all I can find on 110 grain bullets from Hornaday 8th edition
    hope it helps
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	35241

    That's all I can find on 110 grain bullets from Hornaday 8th edition
    hope it helps
    Wingy - thank you very much for this. Really appreciate you taking the time to post that, thank you. It gives me the list to cross reference with the other data which is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

    Adam.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Hi guys,

    Does anyone have / is anyone willing to provide some data from the Hornady manual for me?

    I'd like to know what it recommends as good powder for a Hornady 110gr SP / RNSP in .308 Win. Bullets are very hard to get round here at the moment and I've been offered the chance at some of these so I'm thinking about whether I can do anything with them to decide yay / nay.

    I've got data for general 110gr loads from Hodgdon / Alliant etc. but I'd like to know what the manufacturer recommends as fastest / most accurate (if available).

    I'm imagining this as a muntjac load - it doesn't need to be super-fast - c. 3000fps would probably do, but as always, it's a case of matching up what I can get as best I can. Alliant powders preferred - the local RFD has a few tubs lying around.

    With thanks for any assistance anyone can give,

    Adam.
    Your reliance on bullet makers for accurate speed and pressure data is a little misplaced. IT may well be accurate enough but the powder makers generally have the most sophisticated testing equipment and are constantly testing and retesting powders and updating the data on their sites... unlike bullet makers who publish their data in a book and leave it as such. I'm sure Hornady does a fine job but when I want to know how a powder will perform, I go to the people whose reputation and livelihood hangs on the data provided. ~Muir

Similar Threads

  1. Hornaday z max
    By joe.222 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 01:43
  2. hornaday load data
    By ndt man in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 13:44
  3. Bullet data or powder data?
    By gelert in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-09-2012, 15:07
  4. Barnes load data request.
    By david1976 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 22:16
  5. needed load data for 6mm Hornaday 100grn SP interlock
    By pete in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 20-06-2012, 12:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •