What 4 x 4????

Blueduncan

Replacing my Defender 90..... Too small. Best advice so far is Toyota Hilux and go with the 2.5 engine. Any advice????

This is a bit like a 'how long is a Piece of string' question......

comes down to this, how much do you have to spend and what are using it for?

just been through this dilemma and have a suitable vehicle for us..... Bit more info and I'll chuck my experience in for you to consider......

I have the 2.5 Hilux, does what it says on the tin, very reliable (touch wood!) but trying to get a big red up and over the tail gate can be fun at times!
Cheers
Richard

Hi,
More info'...moved to a cottage 2 miles up a forest track a year ago...quite high up so we get decent snow! defender is fine but have now acquired another 2 dogs..three in total. Need something that does the 4x4 bit well, has space in the load area for the mutts and more elbow room than the defender. Needs to tow a twin axle trailer on occasion. The mechanic at my local agricultural engineers, who services all the local trucks, says Hilux. Looking for something no older than a 12 plate with average miles....a load cover and tow bar would be a bonus.

Toyota may have the ''Jeremy clarkson'' pump up appeal but they rot like h3LL , unless its a 3.0l motor ,keep away.. As from 'tata' motor company (landrover) expect trouble, big trouble..

In the eyes of the world, or 'car v's wild' series. There only one 'Jeep' there all named after !!! Buy one or build one & it will out last you. ;) ecomomical CRD 2.5/2.8 diesel range, as tough as they come, all the extras as standard, & a heater that you can bbq on, or air con to freeze your gonards off, they have enough room & compartments to find a home for all a sportmans needs too !

parts are a pittance direct from over the pond.

Last edited:
Only reason for me to look at Landy is I need a 4X4 that will hold 11. Unfortunately Toy doesn't have that.

dihatsu fourtrack lots of goodones on flee bay parts buttons engine cant kill it 2;8turbo manual 30mpg pull can pull a train

I have a hilux 3.0, can't fault it. I've had 8 deer in the back of it, that was a combination of roe, sika and red, could've squeezed a few more in. Much better than the navara I had previously.

Toyota may have the ''Jeremy clarkson'' pump up appeal but they rot like h3LL , unless its a 3.0l motor ,keep away.. As from 'tata' motor company (landrover) expect trouble, big trouble..

In the eyes of the world, or 'car v's wild' series. There only one 'Jeep' there all named after !!! Buy one or build one & it will out last you. ;) ecomomical CRD 2.5/2.8 diesel range, as tough as they come, all the extras as standard, & a heater that you can bbq on, or air con to freeze your gonards off, they have enough room & compartments to find a home for all a sportmans needs too !

parts are a pittance direct from over the pond.

Yeah, but what about when the myriad electronic bits and bobs all start going wrong? Had to auction my Cherokee with many years left in the engine and transmission because of duff electronics.....too costly to fix.
Hilux every time, plus best economy in its class. I'll never again buy a 4x4 that doesn't have 2 sticks.....it's no fun being stuck in low range and trying to get home!!!!
Keep it simple and it wont go wrong so much!

Back