125 ish load for 308

Distinguished Member
Hi Lads

does anyone make a 123/125 grain bullet for 308 that is a softpoint or hollow point and also has a boattail bottom ????

i use 125 grain nosler bt at the minute and just wondering

ATB

Dave

I thought Sierra made a 125 grain Match King -and they do- but it's a flat base. They do make a 135 grain Match King BTHP.

Why the boat tail? Just curious. Even Hornady's engineer says that they are really of no practical value until about 400 yards in your average 30 cal.~Muir

Last edited:
I once had some rounds made up for me using Sierra 7.62 (.311) 123/125 grain expanding, it's not a boat tail

Last edited:
Never mind if it is necessary or beneficial to use a boat tail bullet under about 400 yards I ask is it really practical to manufacture one in such a lightweight bullet which will have a short bearing surface?

The Barnes not being a conventional cup and core bullet but a monolithic bullet will naturally be longer than normal for it's weight.

I thought Sierra made a 125 grain Match King -and they do- but it's a flat base. They do make a 135 grain Match King BTHP.

Why the boat tail? Just curious. Even Hornady's engineer says that they are really of no practical value until about 400 yards in your average 30 cal.~Muir

Only said boat tail because I only use a lee loader and the boat tail makes it easy for loading

Why are you looking for SP or HP bullets? Want to substitute the BT with something cheaper in practice loads?

In addition to BT Nosler also manufactures 125gr Accubond but these two are the only 125gr 30cal boattails I'm aware of.

Why are you looking for SP or HP bullets? Want to substitute the BT with something cheaper in practice loads?

In addition to BT Nosler also manufactures 125gr Accubond but these two are the only 125gr 30cal boattails I'm aware of.

the 125 nosler bt are becoming very hard to get round here that why im looking at others mate

I use 125 gn sierra pro hunter in my 30.06

These are all I use in my .308.

Never had a problem loading them, don't need a lot of powder, expand well and retain most of their weight (or at least the ones I managed to recover have), and clover leaf at 100yds if I do my bit.

Back