Thread: Any suggestions on a drag bag?

Any suggestions on a drag bag?

Hi everyone. I am trying to think practically here. I stalk with my rifle in a backpack sling, I will be carrying my binoculars on a harness, I just need to have something that is lightweight and as compact as possible to use when I get a deer (roe). I have been thinking of a roe sack, but these tend to take too much space, plus it is another thing to carry on my shoulders (in addition to my backpack rifle and my binoculars on the harness). So I thought some sort of canvas roll up piece of kit that I can keep on the large pocket spanning side to side of my lower back on my Deerhunter jacket (if you have one of these jackets you know what I mean) that i can roll on the ground, enclose the deer in and drag it behind me.

The truth is I cannot afford to pay any serious money for it, so it will either have to be a DIY job or something very basic. Any pointers either way?

Many thanks in advance!

Sounds like you need the Yule roe sack. Bushwear are selling them again!

try rob at monarch country products, he is making me a drag bag at the moment, very strong and durable material he is on here as a trade member

Tie a small animals hooves together (hocked) and carry it over your shoulder, spread the load with a small pad of leather or fabric on your shoulder to spread the load a little.

This is way cheaper than any roe sac and far easier to manage the rest of your kit with.

Sling rifle using a biathlon type strap, knife on belt, everything else fits into pockets (bin's worn in usual place)

Ive brought out roe for years using this method, reds and sika are a little different, but you wouldn't be putting them in a sac anyway..
    Last edited by Ronin; 30-11-2013 at 08:17.

Ikea bag, any Ikea store, big enough for roe, couple of quid, easy to replace

Quote Originally Posted by john d View Post
    Ikea bag, any Ikea store, big enough for roe, couple of quid, easy to replace
    I carry two or three of these - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/17228340/ Regards JCS

Thanks for the ideas. I actually have a couple of Ikea bags, this looks like a good idea....