Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just how far

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

just how far

Hi All.

Just how far could you run a 22" .243

with a 1/10 twist sporting profil barrel

looking at about a 70 to 105gr bullet.

just thinking of running my unemployed rifle for longer shots in the summer.(giving the 20 tac a restbite.

cheers

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 30-11-2013 at 14:34.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

SD Regular
    Bob,

No reason why you can't shoot 'normally' with that - serious drop after 400. As you'll know 243 was designed for something around 80gr bullets and 70gr get great velocity, although obviously not as good BC for downrange punch. If you're homeloading you should get some very good results.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Won't this be down mainly to the ability of the shooter and the size of the target.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Shot Sika hinds out to 260m with 80gr /243 without a problem but set my limit around that distance for the 243. Used 87v-max at a 600yd competition which worked very well. Busting clays at 600m was quite easy too with that combo.
    edi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Bob,

No reason why you can't shoot 'normally' with that - serious drop after 400. As you'll know 243 was designed for something around 80 gr bullets and 70gr get great velocity, although obviously not as good BC for downrange punch. If you're home loading you should get some very good results.
    Hi EtR

i think its my way of keeping the 243 and running it out longer on gongs and then closer ranges for bunnies and corvids, just can't justify leaving it in the cabinet.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Won't this be down mainly to the ability of the shooter and the size of the target.
    I have shot rifle for many years both in the forces and civvy street, i don't class myself as a great shooter..............just a consistent one that with the right gear will be able to do better.

bob.

yo bob not sure the 105's would stabilize with a 1in 10 twist

bob i used nosler 80g and shot foxes to 500yards raingfinders used shots dialed in with sightron s3 now use 65g vmax which are very good on foxes dont know what the velositey is but 41gvarget and the little 65g pill is moving every fox droped on the spot but not much to pick up even at distance now my best load in the 243 from a tikka t3 supervarmint

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    yo bob not sure the 105's would stabilize with a 1in 10 twist
    Hi Dave

i am sure this rifle shot them ok but it may have been my 6mm br.can't aford to get it done so will save the cash and keep it as a .243 and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    bob i used nosler 80g and shot foxes to 500yards raingfinders used shots dialed in with sightron s3 now use 65g vmax which are very good on foxes dont know what the velositey is but 41gvarget and the little 65g pill is moving every fox droped on the spot but not much to pick up even at distance now my best load in the 243 from a tikka t3 supervarmint

cheers wraith.

im not looking to go below 70 gr nosler (as i have 300 of them here on the shelf) and as mentioned above by dave d foxxer 105 is probably the ammo i used in the 6mm br so i will have to find a load for a pill in between 70 and 100 gr, that will have a good stable trajectory out to say 500/600 yards,

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I have shot rifle for many years both in the forces and civvy street, i don't class myself as a great shooter..............just a consistent one that with the right gear will be able to do better.

bob.
    Why are you asking then Bob, you know your own abilities and you should know the abilities of your rifle if not get in some range time and find out.
    Your .243 can shoot 1,000 yards if you wish but just how accurate or competitive it will be at that range you will have to find out for yourself. What sort of target will you be intending to use it against, your obviously not going to shoot deer at extended ranges are you. Are you intending to use it for foxing or long range vermin control.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.