Carcass Preparation

Bestman

I usually take the lazy option of getting a local game dealer to prepare my gralloched animals. That is no longer an option so it is time to start doing it for myself. I've got what looks to be an excellent American book "Dressing and cooking wild game" but am unsure of exactly what kit I need. I have a sharp 'frost' knife and a 'breast bone saw'. Will that do it?

If you wish to be really stylish - then invest in a set of racheting secaturs for neatly separating the ribs from the loin - otherwise, you are good to go!

Rgds

Ian :)

There are various bits of info if you search on here and on ukvarminter web site. EG A roll of pictures.
The DCS best practice guide is also very good

liongeorge said:
Check out Martins brilliant step by step giude with pictures on This Hunting Life. (Sorry have I sworn!)

I'm sure he put them on here too didn't he?

Gez

Another vote for the series of butchery videos on the This Hunting Life site - they're also on You Tube:

The BDS DVD is OK but assumes perfect conditions.

Adam.

Thanks again, especially Keith for the offer of a demo.

Butchered the two roe yesterday and all went well, very satisfying, although could have been tidier. I'll get hold of the DVD and no doubt practice will make perfect.

Hi Bestman

Fella your in there and youve given it a go and each time it will get tidier and tidier..

The videos are great and ive personally benefitted heaps from them but theres still nothing to compare to the blood and guts :D

Terry

i like to bebone the haunches on a Roe leaving the haunch whole, bang it in the freezer for a few hours till it starts to solidify then steak it all up
saves cutting up into smal muscle sections and that way i get a decent size steak ;)
i work on 7-9 steaks off a doe and 9-11 steaks off a buck per haunch any trimmed up bits got to casserole chunks or mince
the loin is cut off the bone but keeping both loins attached to make butterfly medalions, looks a bit more of a meal that way
shoulders are either boned and rolled or diced up for casserole/stirfry chunks or minced up that way you hav options for bugers ,.sausages or just mince
Fallow is slightly different
regards

personally I think you shouldnt be out shooting deer if you dont know how to gut the bloody things, golden rule is get the deer gutted asap not take it to the game dealers!!! that should never have been an option. we were taught ,less than 20min is the target.
now off my soap box mate, all you need is a sharp knife, your frost one will do,and usually you can gut them where they fall and a good mate to talk you through it,dont watch him ,get him to take the time and watch you!!!!the quickest way to learn is by doing it not reading about it, a bit like riding a bike, believe it or not ,the larger the deer ,the easier it is ,as there is more room,
Have fun and happy hunting

personally I think you shouldnt be out shooting deer if you dont know how to gut the bloody things, golden rule is get the deer gutted asap not take it to the game dealers!!! that should never have been an option. we were taught ,less than 20min is the target.
now off my soap box mate, all you need is a sharp knife, your frost one will do,and usually you can gut them where they fall and a good mate to talk you through it,dont watch him ,get him to take the time and watch you!!!!the quickest way to learn is by doing it not reading about it, a bit like riding a bike, believe it or not ,the larger the deer ,the easier it is ,as there is more room,

Did you read the original post? :old:

He was wanting to know how to butcher it, he knows how to gralloch:old:

Back