Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pups from your own bitch!!

pups from your own bitch!!

I have just got a young cocker pup and thus far she is a belter. I have never had pups from my own dogs before as I have never wanted to risk the dog I own for pups I dont really want. I am considering this at the moemnt (well in advance) but I can fore see a problem. My dogs are all house dogs and work part time. If I have a litter of pups for the purpose of keeping one what is the procedure for weaning one and looking after mum when all the other pups have gone but there is still one left? Bearing in mind I dont have kennels

cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    I have just got a young cocker pup and thus far she is a belter. I have never had pups from my own dogs before as I have never wanted to risk the dog I own for pups I dont really want. I am considering this at the moemnt (well in advance) but I can fore see a problem. My dogs are all house dogs and work part time. If I have a litter of pups for the purpose of keeping one what is the procedure for weaning one and looking after mum when all the other pups have gone but there is still one left? Bearing in mind I dont have kennels

cheers all
    Just let nature take its course. As your pup grows feed it on a good quality proprietary puppy food, your bitch will decide when she no longer wants to feed the pup, and you may have to shut the pup on his own during feeding so that your other dogs don't eat his food.

atb Tim

Dogs must be weaned before they are sold so it should not affect the mother that way. Any training should be done individually so in theory ther should be no problem only the ones you have with any new pup ie toilet training, chewing etc

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Just let nature take its course. As your pup grows feed it on a good quality proprietary puppy food, your bitch will decide when she no longer wants to feed the pup, and you may have to shut the pup on his own during feeding so that your other dogs don't eat his food.

atb Tim
    This is what I did under your circumstances, weaning I never shut the pups away from her or removed her but fed them increasingly from 3 weeks the bitch didn't dry up completely for 10 weeks or so but she did and the pup we kept has been pretty straightforward. Make sure you have a good whelping box is The best advice mine stayed in it till they went and then it got removed and the pup had a cage. But only for a week or so since it's been fine.

A few weeks after the pups are born they will let you know that the bitches milk is not sufficent to fill them up.
    And start to take milky solid food you will give them
    Train your pup to hunt without her mother, as she may have a tendancy to hunt together.
    Regards
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    A few weeks after the pups are born they will let you know that the bitches milk is not sufficent to fill them up.
    And start to take milky solid food you will give them
    Train your pup to hunt without her mother, as she may have a tendancy to hunt together.
    Regards
    TH
    Our Aussie has large litters (8-10)... We weigh them at birth and at least once a day. And help her with ones that don't gain the way we think they should. That usually translates to big healthy puppies and a lazy mom. I guess she weighs them also because she starts cutting them off. By the time they are 6 weeks, they just get a snack from mom to wash down the dry puppy feed they get. And she starts to dry up on her own. By the time they are ready to go at just over 8 weeks, they are weaned.

I'm not saying don't bread from your dog but if you do, do it for the right reasons. If you really like the dog you have and want a carbon copy or the same traits then the better option is to see if the breader of your own dog is having another litter from the same bitch an sire. A sires genes and traits for your own potential future litter might be more dominant than your own bitches resulting in you not getting what you want.

There are problems associated with keepin a mother and pup but nothin that can't be over come.

Every one (myself included) has the best dog in the world! When the dog is of age, asses from a impartial third party point of view as to wether you think the dog is suitable for breeding. Think of the hassle of pups and, the time your own dog will be out of action, and the strain of rearing and delivering a litter will have on your dog.

i'd personally not leave a dog unspayed if I knew I was not going to bread from her. Seasons are a pain and later on in life the risk I pyometra becomes a real threat to you dogs life span. There is also the mammary tumour risk and associated peri-anal problems if left unneutered. I had our current bitch spayed at two, she is the same dog and not affected by being neutered, there is a weight gain argument but that is easily prevented.

how old is she?

What your vets will not tell you when they spay your bitch is that it will be prone to getting fat and worse still more likely to become incontinent in later life and require daily medication to combat it. I have had firsthand experience of this with three bitches and would never have another spayed unless it was a very necessary medical intervention.

Regarding the OP wanting to breed his own dogs this can be a good way of selecting which pup will suit you best as you have the opportunity to observe the litter over a period of time.

atb Tim
    Last edited by timbrayford; 08-12-2013 at 23:30.

What your vets will not tell you when they spay your bitch is that it will be prone to getting fat and worse still more likely to become incontinent in later life and require daily medication to combat it.
    I always talk to people about the risks of surgery. Incontinence is said to occur at a rate of around 10-20% in the literature. In my experience it seems less common. The treatment is simple, straightforward and cheap.

Compare that to the risks of pyometra and mammary tumours - both may kill the dog (I've seen dogs die from both). Both will cost you many times the cost of some simple incontinence meds! A large study found an incidence of 19% of unspayed dogs getting pyometra, 13% getting mammary tumours and a risk of a dog aged 10 getting either or both of two diseases 30%.

I have 1 spayed bitch. Weird as these things go I have the litter sister to the OPs dog, and she will be spayed 3 months after her first season.

Spaying only makes them fat if they eat too much. My Patterdale is too fat because she keeps eating puppy food...............

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

What your vets will not tell you when they spay your bitch is that it will be prone to getting fat
    They only get fat because the owner fails to adjust and control the dogs intake.

The picture below is of my own bitch, 4 years old, spayed at 2. She's got a 16" waist, 27" chest and 18" neck and weighed in at 23.5kgs last month... And she's a lab, she'd eat herself to death.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1452386_10100706336064271_736151331_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	35534