260 or creedmoor

Creedmore's a place innit ? :D But .260 rem is a cracking good accurate round that's easy to scource ammo / components for , it's more than capable on the biggest reds and will loads down for foxes at long range.

:old:

Why the 47 gary, thought the 47 was for 120gr heads or lighter, want good accu out to 1000yds and capable of launching 140 grainers

Which calibre is better and why
0!
ballistically there's no real difference, game taking wise, there's no difference. the creedmoor is a marketing ploy to 'sell'. however, it equals the .260 so the marketing ploy should be no means be considered a negative.

however,,,,you ask "better"...neither...but, the creedmoor has the advantage of factory sized brass AND ammo..that, is not the case for .260.

therefore, for me, i'd pick creedmoor....think about it,,,two roads to work, equal quality tarmac, equal distance,,,one has speed bumps,,,which one do you take??...

0!
ballistically there's no real difference, game taking wise, there's no difference. the creedmoor is a marketing ploy to 'sell'. however, it equals the .260 so the marketing ploy should be no means be considered a negative.

however,,,,you ask "better"...neither...but, the creedmoor has the advantage of factory sized brass AND ammo..that, is not the case for .260.

therefore, for me, i'd pick creedmoor....think about it,,,two roads to work, equal quality tarmac, equal distance,,,one has speed bumps,,,which one do you take??...

i was going to keep out of this as there is so little to choose between them but just need to correct you , obviously brass is available and I think it's fair to say that lapua makes good brass ? Also I'm in possession of factory ammo for my 260 rem , federal and Remington ? Performance wise , I run 140 Amax at 2850fps out of a normal barrel with N560 , I don't hand load for a creedmore but the data I've seen pretty much matches that performance? (The 47 can't)

I liked that reply, bold but fare, tell me more :cool:
I stole it from a thread on ukv which you've probably seen while lurking there.

as you've clarified your parameters as " good accuracy out to 1k and ability to shoot 140gn" then the 260 is probably sufficient for your needs, although the 47l is a more accurate round, according to those in the know. And as we all know, "accuracy is everything".

mind you, if your building it on a slack remmy ( or similar) action, or your reloading isnt up to scratch, it aint gunna make a difference

Last edited:
..however,,,,you ask "better"...neither...but, the creedmoor has the advantage of factory sized brass AND ammo..that, is not the case for .260....

PKL.

Not sure I follow your comments. I shot the 260 Rem for 8 years with factory ammo only. I used Federal and Remington, both in 120 and 140 gr. There's a good range of 260 Rem ammo available if you are prepared to be patient while it's on order. I currently use Nosler and Lapua brass for the the 260 Rem. In the past I've used Remington and Federal brass.

Regards
JCS

I put my 6,5x55 against Marine PMI's 6,5 Creedmore at 700 yards last summer. We both had identical bullets, at the same velocities (more or less) and we are both decent shots. Same number of hits in shifting winds.

The 260, the 6,5x55, and the 6,5 Creedmore. All about the same ballistically speaking.~Muir

I've owned four bolt action's chambered for the 260 REM !

However two of them were pistols/handrifles !

Anyway I had a Remington Model 7 I got the year they brought the cartridge out and that thing liked everything I put in it be it factory or handload ! All bullet weights from 100-160 grains !
I had a Remington 700BDL stainless synthetic with a factory clip and a 24" barrel . This one shot very nicely also , but I didn't try as many bullets in it . The two handrifles were a Remington XP-100R and a Savage Stryker they both did nicely with handloaded Nosler 120 BT's .

I have a couple Swedish Mausers for the 6.5x55 and I like them as well .

The 6.5 Creedmoor I've not tried personally yet , but I have sold 7 of them in variouse Savage rifles and all do very nicely on paper . Also seen a couple full blown custom bench rifles for the cartridge that shoot very very nicely . It is my intention to get one of the Savage Model 11 XP Trophy combo's in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for my wife . Well one of the LH ones I might add .

I have a hunting buddy formerly of Pennsylvania now of Wyoming that has a rather unique Remington 700 in 260 REM .

He took a standard BDL short action blue printed the thing and put a medium weight Krieger stainless fluted barrel on . 1:8 twist and 30" long . He's been using it on Pronghorn and deer in Wyoming and wild piggies in Texas .

This guy I trust when he spouts off velocities distances etc .

Anyway he's taken a number of antelope and deer in excess of 500 yards and I saw a video of him poling a wild piggie in Texas with it at a lasered 664 yards . He shoots the Berger 130 VLD Hunting Match bullet pushed with RL-17 or RL-19 I forget which he said . Incidently in the video he shot the piggie and it went flop right there and was kicking a bit . The guy who's place he was hunting on told him to be prepared it might jump up , my friend took that to mean pop it again which he did . First shot was right behind the shoulder where he aimed and the second shot split the sternum between the two front legs as it was laying on it's side with the underbelly sternum towards him .

The bloke in our club shoots the 260ai, he told me yesterday he uses echo 17, he shoots his really well at 1000yds, am hoping I beat him yesterday with my 6.5 06, I did ok but dont know how he did.

I have had a 260 built for me this year by Border barrels and basically shot everything with it. Reds, Sika, Roe, fox's and last week Fallow and Muntys also. I have really given it a good testing and must say I love it. It did take a while to find a load for it, but cock on now. Tremendous for long range stuff as well. Now finding it hard to take the .308 out the cabinet.

No complaints at all

Last edited:
Back