Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BARF diet

BARF diet

anyone use this,or what do you feed your dogs

I don't but I am interested in doing so.
    Loads of people of forums do and realy rate it!

Quote Originally Posted by scubadog View Post
    I don't but I am interested in doing so.
    Loads of people of forums do and realy rate it!
    Iam told the same.reason I ask is I was with a guy on Friday who feeds it and he says his dogs have never been so good on it.

Chicken wings are great. A little nervous first time you do it but dogs love them. No problems with bones.

Would you not be worried about the dangers of uncooked meat? I know "in the wild" they'd have done it but frankly I've never seen a pack of wild labradors/Spaniels/Pointers running wild on the hills living of the land... You'd have to worm them a lot, there is also the risk from anything infected with TB that's uncooked and god knows what else. Sure they probably just munch through the bones but you've increase the risk of damage from splinters.

The whole BARF thing just seems to be a little fashionable just now, maybe you should ask your vet?

I feed mine chicken carcasses from the butcher. They're about 11 for 15kg. Never had any issues with bones (general rule is no weight bearing bones or cooked) and as they're food grade as used by restaurants for stock etc no worries on TB, infections etc as long as you keep them frozen and then thaw in the fridge and feed fresh. My dog loves them, has cleaner teeth, better smelling breath, his coat looks better and his poo doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as on processed food (James' Well Beloved so not cheap rubbish) and is much firmer. I also supplement with other meaty bones and offal like pigs trotters, off cuts from venison etc. Most stuff comes from the local butcher and has all come from animals already deemed fit for human consumption.

Both mine have been fed raw since pups and they're both in excellent health and full of energy. As mentioned above their coats look better, teeth are better and poo is a lot firmer and less of it. I get chicken carcasses and off cuts from local butchers, rabbits/venison I provide, and various bits and bobs from local abattoirs and add to this from various raw food suppliers. It can be expensive if you have to buy everything and are not able to provide some yourself or get cheap from butchers etc. I'm fortunate that my vet is pro-barf but that's mainly because unlike a lot of vets they're not got links with kibble suppliers which usually affects their views.

There's a lot of nonsense talked about splintering bones and 'your dog has tasted blood so will become a killer' - in my opinion it's all ******** just don't feed them cooked bones EVER. Most of the people I know feed raw and have never had any issues with their dogs - I'd suggest researching it a lot before committing, there are saw good raw feeding groups on FaceBook with a lot of useful info on them

How do you get on feeding rabbits?
    Does your dog retrieve rabbits okay without eating them!

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Would you not be worried about the dangers of uncooked meat? I know "in the wild" they'd have done it but frankly I've never seen a pack of wild labradors/Spaniels/Pointers running wild on the hills living of the land... You'd have to worm them a lot, there is also the risk from anything infected with TB that's uncooked and god knows what else. Sure they probably just munch through the bones but you've increase the risk of damage from splinters.

The whole BARF thing just seems to be a little fashionable just now, maybe you should ask your vet?

You don't see a load of labs running round puring cups of kibble in bags, so not sure what your argument is here.

They are domestic dogs that have acclimatised to cooked, prepared and formulated food, much in the way humans have. Domestic dogs are not tamed wild animals, most often the argument towards BARF is that it is more natural, in the sense of modern breeds there is not much in the way of natural... Do you see the point now?

Personnally I think a better option is boiled or roasted deboned meat & fish throwing in some roughage for dietary fibre along the way. If your problem is with not knowing what is in certain processed food surely this is the answer?
    Last edited by aliS; 01-12-2013 at 16:06.