Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you loaded?

Are you loaded?

Another thread brings up (throws up?) an interesting subject.

At what point is a rifle 'unloaded'?
    Has this been defined in case law or is this something else we all have a best guess at?
    I know what best practice says, I'm interested in what the good people of SD think and, if possible, what the legal interpretation is.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Rifle loaded = one up bolt closed ready to go ie loaded. mag charged, just that mag charged!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Nearly fell foul of this a good few years ago driving up a road between fields and using a walkie-talkie whilst driving!
    The chap that pulled me insisted that because the mag was in the rifle it was loaded even there was nothing in the chamber and the bolt was shut.
    Luckily the FEO at the time sorted things out for me and it's water under the bridge so now I drop the mag as well as emptying the chamber.

My two penneth… for the sake of a good debate...

"Loaded" could simply be defined as a charged magazine, applied to the weapon… so a round in waiting to be chambered.
    "Ready" or "Made Ready" is a round chambered and the action primed to fire with safety catch applied… therefore safety catch comes off round is squeezed off without disturbance to the firers position, also allowing opportunistic shooting.
    "Unloaded" would be no round in the chamber and magazine removed… allows weapon to be rendered fully safe.
    Merda taurorum animas conturbit

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    funny that one of the lads asked the same question last night when i was reloading some 20 tac brass,

i was always told that the rifle must not have any ammo in it at all.

then i have heard that even if you have a safe rifle. no mag/no ammo in the chamber. but a loaded mag this is classed as a loaded rifle.

all i know is that i have a empty rifle and empty mag at all times when on public roads or driving on the roads on the estate.

bob.

interesting question,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

What he said. Unloaded is rounds in pocket, not gun or magazine. No confusion then.

To load, .... put a missile in the barrel.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Another thread brings up (throws up?) an interesting subject.

At what point is a rifle 'unloaded'?
    Has this been defined in case law or is this something else we all have a best guess at?
    I know what best practice says, I'm interested in what the good people of SD think and, if possible, what the legal interpretation is.
    Rifle empty mag empty end of. Mag loaded on its own as I understand without even being in the rifle is also classed as loaded, so youre equally up **** creek if stopped on the road, in a shop etc etc

Your meal is on the table in front of you!, is it eaten or ready to be eaten?

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    To load, .... put a missile in the barrel.
    That was always my understanding of it too.

The officer concerned was a lets say keen and not a local bobby