Thread: Rough idea of speed please

Rough idea of speed please

Hi
    just loaded 129gr sst with 45.8gr if N160. This is shot out of a Tikka T3 20 inch barrel.
    dont own chrono or have acess to one but can anyone give me an idea of what velocity I should expect from this round please?

cheers

What does your reloading manual suggest for this load big ears? Bearing in mind that you will be shooting this load out of a 20" barrel as opposed to one the length of the test barrel.
    P.S. It might be of some use to mention the cartridge you are talking about.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Couldn't find data in manual as the 129gr isn't quoted. Not on vit site either. Used advice of SD and worked up ladder. 45.8 produces touching holes so am happy with accuracy. Was just wanting to know if anyone had a way of calculating the velocity to give me an idea of what I might be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Hi
    just loaded 129gr sst with 45.8gr if N160. This is shot out of a Tikka T3 20 inch barrel.
    dont own chrono or have acess to one but can anyone give me an idea of what velocity I should expect from this round please?

cheers
    whats the loaded OAL and the H20 capacity of the case ????? and I will tell you within about 30/40 fps

PM me and i will help you ,if you like

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Couldn't find data in manual as the 129gr isn't quoted. Not on vit site either. Used advice of SD and worked up ladder. 45.8 produces touching holes so am happy with accuracy. Was just wanting to know if anyone had a way of calculating the velocity to give me an idea of what I might be getting.
    It lists 130 grain bullets which is as near as damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    It lists 130 grain bullets which is as near as damn it.
    Yes but only in old data which loads to coal 3.150. I'm loading new brass at 3.055 which will compress the load and affect speed. I guess I am in the 2650-2700 mark but interested if I can get closer.

From my reply to a previous thread:

Viht N160, 46.5 gn, 129 gn Hornady SST. Measured at Av 2690 f/sec. 5 shot group, .35" centre to centre.

From a bog standard Tikka 695.
    Last edited by charadam; 01-12-2013 at 22:58.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

At best with even the best computer programs it will be an educated guess. You will never know what velocity it actually does unless you shoot your loads over the chronagraph as every barrel is different.